Return to Website

Speakerbuilder.net

Welcome to the Speakerbuilder.net discussion forum. While being polite and respectful is not common on the internet, please try not to flame people who don't deserve it. Otherwise, go nuts.

Speakerbuilder.net
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dayton III crossover and driver connection advice?

Good evening,

I have got parts ordered for a set of Dayton IIIs (my first speaker project) and I have a question or two about constructing and connecting the crossovers and drivers...

Since the hi- and low-pass sections of the crossover are shown separately from each other, are they basically connected in parallel with each other to the same set of speaker terminals?

Also, what assumptions do I make about which side of the speaker terminals and terminals on the drivers is positive or negative? (In relation to the schematics)

Many thanks for your help.

Paul

Re: Dayton III crossover and driver connection advice?

You're correct, the source terminals are in parallel or you could use a Bi-wire style binding plate and let the straps do it for you. This would allow for bi-wiring/bi-amping in the future, if you are into that.

On the driver lableing convention. It seems that Wayne uses a single '+' or '-' to indicate polarity here, '+' indicates a coventional pos.-to-pos. neg.-to-neg. scheme and '-' the opposite.

Hope this helps.

Pat

That almost does it for me...

Thanks for your speedy reply Pat,

Is the convention that Positive is to the "north" side of the map and Negative to the "south"?

Will I have to worry about observing any polarity for components like caps?

Paul

Re: That almost does it for me...

Yup, the north, positive, up thing usually applies and it does so here.

No polarized caps here so you're good to go.

Good luck and e-mail me when you get a litle listening done. I'm curious to hear how they turn out.

Pat

Re: Re: That almost does it for me...

Thank you very much.

I will indeed give you a shout to let you know how they turn out. I think they should make a very nice winter solstice project.

Best,
Paul