Return to Website

Speakerbuilder.net

Welcome to the Speakerbuilder.net discussion forum. While being polite and respectful is not common on the internet, please try not to flame people who don't deserve it. Otherwise, go nuts.

Speakerbuilder.net
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EROS Tweeter Pod

I have read about all the posts on building the EROS' and had a question(s) that I don't think has been asked...

Does the tweeter pod span the entire width of the cabinet (3.75 x 6 x 8) or is the tweeter pod a small "cube" within the cabinet (3.75 x 6 x 6)???

I have read that these speakers can bring out the bad records as well as the good recordings...

Many people have given examples of good recordsing, but can someone give me an example of a CD that just sounds horrible on these speakers???

I really don't want to build a pair of speakers that minits my CD collection from 300 to 30...

One more question... I want to pare these speakers with two subs, similar to the BESL speakers... Has anybody done this, and if so how did it turn out???

Thank you,
Mark

Re: EROS Tweeter Pod

The tweeter pod spans the entire width of the cabinet. Make sure you take into account the 1/2" plywood layer. (Before you ask, I don't remember if I layered the pod with plywood; probably not, since the purpose of the plywood is added rigidity to the cabinet, and putting it on the tweeter pod would do nothing for that.)

I have a recording of Beethoven's Ninth that just sucks ass; but, it sucks ass on every speaker pair I have ever tried (including some very high-end commercial boxen). I have not run across a CD that sounds *worse* on my Eros than on other speakers, which is what I suspect you are really asking.

I think what most Eros owners are hearing are lousy CDs that still sound lousy on the Eros, and then they are disappointed, because the Eros are supposed to produce this wonderful sound. But, the old saying: Garbage in, garbage out. Bad recording in, bad music out. The Eros can't fix that.

OTOH, average recordings sound better on these than on most speakers (more detail, crispness, etc.)...And good recordings sound GREAT!!!!!!!! They will blow you away.

So, I strongly recommend you build 'em. It's loads of fun (except for that bloody 1.5" roundover!), hard work, and the looks that people give you when you tell them, "*I* built these!" is worth every minute of it!

Plus the awesome sound.

Cheers,

jIyajbe

Re: Re: EROS Tweeter Pod

Thanks jIyajbe,

Those were pretty much the exact answers I was looking for...

Has anyone else matched these up to dedicated subs???

If so, any recommendations on a DIY sub kit/plans??? And, how did you handle the crossover between the EROSs and the subs.. Any ideas???

Thanks again for all the great info,
Mark

Re: Re: EROS Tweeter Pod

I've personally built the Eros with both MKI and MKII xover but I found them too bright for my own taste. On some recording, there are just way too much sibilance and the upper treble sounds too harsh.

I then reduce the 5ohm (in parallel with the tweeter) down to about 4.75 ohm (I used 10ohm//9ohm) which brings then treble down to a more acceptable level but still I found still too bright. I then try to reduce the resister down to 4.5 ohm but I think it had some affect on the midrange frequency.

The Eros has some nice quality but in the long run I just couldn't live with it.