Return to Website

Speakerbuilder.net

Welcome to the Speakerbuilder.net discussion forum. While being polite and respectful is not common on the internet, please try not to flame people who don't deserve it. Otherwise, go nuts.

Speakerbuilder.net
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Veritas listening remarks/review/etc?

Hmmm... The harshness in the mids is a concern. I hadn't seriously looked at the Eros but may well do that. I'm a ways away from taking on any project just yet anyway. Is the harshness in the mids pronounced or is it something you really have to turn up the speakers with a lot of watts and then go hunting for??

Thanks a lot for your feedback, I appreciate it!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Veritas listening remarks/review/etc?

The harshness I hear is only with some vocals, female and at a pretty good volume. I am going to install an L-Pad on the mid and see what I can do. It may also be the room the speakers are in. I would not worry about it too much. They are great speakers and you can hear the details and the imaging is really something. I am building a set of Lyra's for a friend and I want to see how they sound. I don't think anyone beside myself has had any issue with the sound quality. They really are great speakers and would probably sell for quite a bit if you bought them commercially.

Re: Veritas listening remarks/review/etc?

Hello Lance..

I just completed my Veritas recently, and I can honestly say they exceeded my expectations and I highly reccommend them.

My requirements were:

1> Classic Three-Way design
2> Acoustic Supension
3> Throw a Large Image in the Room
4> Paper Cones
5> Smooth tonal balance, IE: musical neutrality.

I built with the Vifa XT tweeters, and had my cabinets made for me by Scott at www.steinaudio.com

I am NOT running 250 watts! I am running an amp that delivers a VERY CLEAN 45 WPC and I am more than happy with the Amp with the Veritas. I think a clean 70 to 85 watts would be okay as well, but remember, the Veritas are 4 ohm speakers so your amp will deliver more power at 4 ohms than the published specs for 8 ohms.

My remarkes on the sound is that they really are smooth and neutral. Nothing is missing, nothing is over-emphasized. Exactly what I wanted. I own a Velodyne Sub Woofer that is now disconnected as it is not needed, nor even desireable compared to the rich, accurate bass provided by the Veritas. I have not expirenced ANY harshness in the mids that another poster mentioned.

I agree with others, they MUST be broken in for 30-40 hours at a farly good volume throttle, so if you build, don't judge them until they have been well broken in.

I favor the blues, all flavors of jazz and classic rock as well as some of the modern alternative rock. We have heard no clasification of music that did not benefit from the smooth frequency delivery of the Veritas.

I spent approx $800.00 on the pair, and I doubt you could buy commercial speakers for any less than 4x that price to beat them.

Now, I have always favored 3-way designs, paper cones to poly cones, and acoustic suspension to ports. So the Veritas were right up my 'sonic alley' and I am very very happy I built these and must give all credits to Wayne J for the design and Scott Stein for an absolutely PERFECT cabinet.

-=[ Bruce ]=-