Return to Website

Speakerbuilder.net

Welcome to the Speakerbuilder.net discussion forum. While being polite and respectful is not common on the internet, please try not to flame people who don't deserve it. Otherwise, go nuts.

Speakerbuilder.net
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: EROS and Subs

Hi,

I'm planning on building matching subs using O-audio 500W BASH amps and the Dayton RSHF 12" drivers. The dimensions will be similar to the Eros, only wider and deeper as these will sit right beside each speaker and I want them to match (same height, front firing, exposed driver, etc etc). These will be ported subs tuned somewhere around 18-20Hz via a slot port out the back. I'll likely use my recievers x-over to set the Eros to 80Hz and then use a spl meter to set up the subs. That's all the details I have so far, I've been asking questions alot at the parts-express boards, I hang out there alot. Boyd

Re: Re: EROS and Subs

I've recently finished my first project, which includes a set of MTM's (based on Dr. K's from Parts Express Showcase, but with RJBAudio 2.5way crossovers) and matching subs which act as a base for each MTM.

The subs are 12" Dayton DVC310-88's #295-185, matched with the 250w plate amp with base boost. I wanted a tight base and a small enclosure, so I went with a sealed design of about 1.4ft3. The cabinets are designed with a front firing driver, but it is in a 45º down orientation. I based this on an system from the early 80's that I liked the base very much on (Allison Acoustics 9). They claimed that it made the base output less dependent on room placement. I have only set them by ear to half volume with a -6db setting on the HT reciever and they seem very well balanced with the MTM's, with plenty of power in reserve. The MTM's are crossed by the reciever at 80 Hz.

To my ears, the combination is excellent. I have a 15'x19' room and these subs have plenty of power ( you can feel the floor and couch vibrating) and goes plenty low for all music and movies I've tried. The base is very tight and well defined. EQ'ing the subs would probably improve it, but I have absolutely no complaints. The MTM's are imroved with the 2.5way, IMO, over the original 2way.

Nothing but smiles with this combination from me. I wouldn't hesitate recommending the two sub route to anyone based on my result, but then again, I'm just a novice at this.

Dan