Return to Website

Speakerbuilder.net

Welcome to the Speakerbuilder.net discussion forum. While being polite and respectful is not common on the internet, please try not to flame people who don't deserve it. Otherwise, go nuts.

Speakerbuilder.net
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: EROS next perhaps - opinions

Hey Dan,

I built the Eros MKII about a year ago and certainly don't regret it. If you search the forum for the Eros and bright you'll find a thread where several people discuss the merits and drawbacks of the design. I still struggle a bit with a little brightness. However on most good non hard rock stuff they sound great. As an alternative, there is a few designs that you might want to look at over on HTGuide.com. Particularly the Modula MTM. The designer is very active on that forum and is very knowledgeable.

It uses a drivers that are cheaper and are higher performance than the ones in the EROS…just normal advances in driver design. Although the crossover in the Modula MTM is much more expensive. Just a thought.

Mike

Re: Re: EROS next perhaps - opinions

Thanks for the response and advice. I will take a look.

Re: Re: Re: EROS next perhaps - opinions

I've personally built both versions of xover and they are so bright I couldn't bear.

I think there are two basic flaws with the xover design:
1. The xover frequency is way too low @about 1750hz and this is where the excessive sibilance and harshness come from.
2. The capacitor on the tweeter is too bigh. The bigger the cap, the more it influence the sound in a negative way.

With the help from someone I had contacted from the Netherland, we have come up with a brand new xover the will cross at about 2.4Khz and the cap on the tweeter and woofer both reduced significantly.
The sound with the new xover is much more musical and relaxing without compromising much in term of transparency.

If you want, you can email me for the new xover version.