Return to Website

Speakerbuilder.net

Welcome to the Speakerbuilder.net discussion forum. While being polite and respectful is not common on the internet, please try not to flame people who don't deserve it. Otherwise, go nuts.

Speakerbuilder.net
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fiberfill effects on a ported loudspeaker.

I bought a pair of DCM KX12's back around 1996. (They have been in storage nearly all this time.) The KX12 is a 3-way ported design. A 12" woofer, 6" midrange and a horn tweeter. There are two 4" ports out the back of the cabinet. They are inexpensive speakers, but I have never had much cash to spread around.

Removing the woofer to look inside, and then replacing the slide-on clips connecting the drivers with silver solder, I noticed there was very little fiberfill inside the cabinet. There is a verticle internal brace the width of the speaker cabinet inside that ends about half way down the cabinet (The cabinet is actually very rigid.) There was only a small amount of fiberfill in the top area behind the midrange and tweeter. I assumed they (DCM) did not fill the entire speaker with fiberfill to reduce production costs. I bought some fiberfill and filled the rest of the vented cabinet with the fiberfill. I was carefull not to pack it in too tightly. I believe I put the right amount in...not too tight, not too lose.

I was later told that doing what I did with the fiberfill would:
1/ cut the extension of the woofer (wouldn't produce as deep bass), and
2/ the low-end would not be as tight.

(I have not fired-up these speakers since making this change. I hope to in a few weeks.)

Would adding fiberfill and filling the cabinet raise the low-end cut-off point and reduce transient reponse?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Re: Fiberfill effects on a ported loudspeaker.

There is a good chance that these now OVERSTUFFED speakers will start on fire. Try em outside, looking on through a patio door. Enjoy the drama...invite friends over and stoke em up after dinner. Beats football hands-down!...A close 2nd to Wheel of Fortune. Almost like the 50's Nuke tests in the desert, ya know? Oh yes, Don't forget to wear the protective goggles! Enjoy! -M P.S. I actually like DCM stuff...had the original Time Windows back in the 70's.