Return to Website

Speakerbuilder.net

Welcome to the Speakerbuilder.net discussion forum. While being polite and respectful is not common on the internet, please try not to flame people who don't deserve it. Otherwise, go nuts.

Speakerbuilder.net
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Newbie Question: Veritas Speakers

Ted,
I have a Veritas box cut out and sitting in the garage. One of these days I'll get to it. I plan on using Whispermat on most the surfaces and extra bracing. It is a big box and will need extra attention to avoid resonance. I have heard that you can make an approximation of Whispermat and Blackhole 5 by taking vinyl tiles and glueing and inch of carpet padding to them-- much cheaper. Definitely do not leave the box empty. Hope this helps.

Scott C

Re: Re: Newbie Question: Veritas Speakers

I have built the Veritas and you will be very very happy. I glued and screwed all the panels together. I used plugs for the countersunk screw holes so the veneer or paint has a good surface. Use caulking on all of the seams including the back panel. It is supposed to be a sealed box and any air leaks will affect the result. Don't seal the back panel until you know everything is working well. I used a rounding over bit where the side panels meet the front and then used Cherry veneer. I used several packages of spun polyester as acoustic damping material aka pillow stuffing. You can get it at a fabric store. It works fine. I think the rule of thumb is 1.5 pounds per cubic foot of interior cabinet.