Return to Website

Speakerbuilder.net

Welcome to the Speakerbuilder.net discussion forum. While being polite and respectful is not common on the internet, please try not to flame people who don't deserve it. Otherwise, go nuts.

Speakerbuilder.net
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
new to speaker building - impossible inductor values

Hi Folks. I'm new to DIY speaker building. I have a copy of the David Weems book and an eagerness to build something small and amazing.

I decided to try the Zaph "12" (for lack of an actual name) as a near field pair for a home overdub studio. This one:
http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker12.html

I started ordering parts and then realized the low-pass inductor is a non-standard, and impossible-to-find value: 1.7 mH.

I would rather not wind this large an inductor myself. But I will if it makes a difference.

Reading the crossover chapter in Weems, I'm realizing that substituting values willy nilly might give me a bump or a cut (haven't figured which) near the crossover point due to phase cancellation (or addition.)

WILL a 1.8 mH INDUCTOR WORK? (in place of the 1.7 mH specified.)
Maybe someone with real world speaker building experience can tell me if it will be noticible.

I've already ordered the 1.8mH from Madisound.
(http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?pid=1127)
But I will try my hand at winding a 1.7 if it will make a difference.

Thanks for any advice, Kato

Re: new to speaker building - impossible inductor values

Hi Kato, I'm relativlely a newbie too, and also
would like to build the '12' or L15 Seas Zaph design.
But don't know where to source the drivers in AU!

Re: your Q, Mr JK (either somewhere in his site or
maybe in www.diyaudio.com - 'zaph new design' post I think) suggested unwinding a 1.8mH and described how
to use the 'Lalena inductor calculator' to work out
how many turns to remove. Or, alternatively you could
buy a cheap eg $30AU inductance multimeter and measure.
Probably best to use the specified inductance values and also the specified DC RES. of them.
Hope this helps, good luck with your project, let me know how the finished version sounds please? Grant