Return to Website

Speakerbuilder.net

Welcome to the Speakerbuilder.net discussion forum. While being polite and respectful is not common on the internet, please try not to flame people who don't deserve it. Otherwise, go nuts.

Speakerbuilder.net
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Driver Selection and Crossover Design

Hi everyone,

I wish to construct a cheap pair of studio monitors. As such, my design goals are neutral response, and tight transients, over a range of about 50 Hz to 20 Khz plus. I will be using a subwoofer, so they need not extend lower.

I have alread chosen some woofers, with economy in mind. Although relatively inexpensive, they look to be well suited as monitor midbass drivers. They are Max Pentavent 6520-8's. They are 6.5 inch midbass drivers, with heavy stamped steel frames, butyl surrounds, 1 inch voice coils, large spiders, and carbon infused poly-cone. I have yet to find a frequency response curve for them, but supposedly they are usable to 5 KHz.

Here is my question, then. In chosing a tweeter, should the impedance be matched to that of the woofer? Many tweeters seem to be 6 Ohms, where as my woofer is 8 Ohms. Can these be made to work together?

My midbass has a SPL rating of 90 dB 1w/1m, 8 Ohms, and high end extension to 5 KHz. I am planning on crossing over at a more pedestrian 2.5 KHz, or 3 K, to a textile dome tweeter of some kind.

Any suggestions? I have found a few tweeters with a SPL of 90 dB also, which is a match to my woofer, however they are 6 Ohm impedance units. If I correct them to 8 Ohms with a padding resistor, that will lower the SPL. I am at a loss as to how to match the impedances of a midbass and tweeter.

JF