Return to Website

Speakerbuilder.net

Welcome to the Speakerbuilder.net discussion forum. While being polite and respectful is not common on the internet, please try not to flame people who don't deserve it. Otherwise, go nuts.

Speakerbuilder.net
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Your thoughts and recomendations

Since my electronic engineering class this semester I have wanted to try building some decent speakers. I have no great knowledge of quality drivers, companies or acoustic design. I have been basing my driver decisions on manufacturer listed specs. From PartsExpress.com I am looking at these drivers in a 3-way array: (per speaker) DAYTON RS180-4 7" x2, DAYTON RS125-4 5" x1, and SELENIUM DH200E-E 1" with HM11-25 horn. I have no great reasoning for the Compression driver other than the Frequency range. Audibly I prefer tight deep bass with solid imaging in the mids and clear but not sharp or tinny highs (IE: I love how the Polk, Boston Acoustic, and Definitive Technology speakers Ive listened to sound). Any parts you would change? If so please give info for why. How would I go about getting the correct volume figured and choosing between porting or sealed cabinets? And where would you cut the high-pass and low-pass frequencies in the XO? Please inform me and thanks for your time!!