UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Charles Westover/Del Shannon

Been spinning the cracking psych album by Del Shannon titled"Further adventures of CharlesWestover"released in the year 1968.Of course Charles Westover is Del Shannons real name.Another disc to look out for is the recordings he made with Andrew Loog Oldham released as "Home and Away"recorded in 67,good recordings they are too.Finally i just wanted to mention another album with Del Shannons involvement by Brian Hyland,he produced this self titled album in 1970 which is a rather good album too,anyone heard the 3 cds i mention?What do you think of this interesting time for Del Shannon?

Re: Charles Westover/Del Shannon

Del Shannon is one of my music heroes!

A year ago i rel a labour of love cd with Brian Hyland and his late 60´s early 70s recordings and Del´s collaboration with BH was very fruitful for both esp. for Mr Hyland and i included a couple of non-LP UNI 45s etc + a very rare BH 45 on Dot from 1968 Prod and arr by the same folks responsible for the Charles Westover LP and one tr co-wr by Del which is Amazing!

Only made like 30 copies of this cd.

Amazing non-LP ´69 45 = "Sister Isabelle".

LOVE this b-s. to "Sister Isabelle"

Hi JJ,What a terrific track,first time ive ever heard it,did he record more stuff like this and anything similar to Charles Westover i should hear?Im really interersted in him and his recordings around the late 60s early 70s,shame he had to leave us.........

The "Sister Isabelle" 45 is sadly his only recordings around this time ie ´69/70 as he was busy Prod and co-writing songs for BH´s ´70 LP which Del lifted to great heights.
Jeff Lynne took him under his wings a couple of years later but mostly demos has appeared from that mid 70´s period.

And not forgetting Brian Hyland's superb 'Come With Me' 'Delilah' psych 45. Someone put these cuts on Youtube -please!

PM

Yes Paul i mentioned this 45 above and it was incl on my homemade BH cd.

Yeah, I rate Del Shannon highly,too. You guys have definitely peaked my curiosity about Brian Hyland's stuff, though I think I've heard some tracks by him already.

hi JJ how would one get hold of the cdr you mentioned please

Hi JJ,hows the cd "The Liberty Years",does this cd include all recordings he made for Liberty Recordings?I see it was released in the early 90s,hows the sound quuality on it?Cheers JJ.

Stuart: have that cd here somewhere but haven´t listened to it for years as i have my fave Del trax burnt on a cdr.

Phil: the Brian Hyland cdr was a very ltd rel and i´m afraid i have no more copies.
I sent a copy to Mr Hyland himself asking him if i could make a proper cd rel but he wasn´t interested, a shame as this would raise some eyebrows as how strong the selection is.

If i make more copies i will add info here on RZ and it´s for free.

Photobucket

please put me down for one JJ if you do.

Always loved this-

JJ
The "Sister Isabelle" 45 is sadly his only recordings around this time ie ´69/70 as he was busy Prod and co-writing songs for BH´s ´70 LP which Del lifted to great heights.

There was one Dunhill single before the great "Sister Isabelle" which is quite good too: "Sweet Mary Lou" and esp. "Comin' Back To Me"

Correct Jonas have this 45.

thanks JJ

I'm also a fan of The Further Adventures....album. If you get around to it JJ I'd be interested in the Brian Hyland comp you did. Thanks.

What's going on here? The letters I had to type in the white box were VPJJ. He's everywhere!!!!