UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Emerlist Davjack Mono and Stereo

Hello, does everyone prefer the mono version of this album? I've only heard the stereo version which is still great but I've heard on the grapevine that the mono version of the album beats it in many respects. I've also heard from someone else that the alternative versions on the album, Autumn and Spring, are worth getting as well. I've got the mono version of the Tomorrow album and I think that's much better than stereo so I'm definitely open to the idea of listening to albums in mono.

I've got the album on Here Comes the Nice and I think the sound leaves a little bit to be desired. I've also heard the repertoire digipack version and I think it's an improvement. What do others think?

By the way, is the mono version only available on original LP in it's full form?

Re: Emerlist Davjack Mono and Stereo

One of the first Psych vinyl LPs I ever got, given to me in my late teens by an older guy who had noted my interest in Pepper n Piper, always loved it, still do,
only ever heard it in stereo tho Skippy..

Thanks for that reply. I really like the material on it but I'm slightly unimpressed with the versions I've heard. I won't lie, I read a single post on the stevehoffman forum from someone saying that the mono version was superior. If anyone on here had any of those tracks in digital form I might ask if they could share them on this forum? Otherwise, I think I'll put it on my long list of lps to buy someday. It's just possible that mono doesn't exist so I'd ask you not to take my word on it.

Been listening to the Autumn and Spring 'compilation' (with different versions) and it sounds very good to my ears. The versions sound quite different in places and the sound quality is very good as well (the cd release). There's possibly too much treble on it so I'm going to listen to the original record to compare - the beauty of the internet! The one thing that strikes me is the bass is really good on this cd.

I'm currently listening to Diamond Hard Apples... and it's never sounded so good to me before!

Worth checking out I think.

Diamond Hard Blue Apples is magic...
That Steve Hoffman forum is a dangerous place if you have a tendency for nerdy obsessiveness...got lost for hours there a few times lol!
I mean, I wanna buy an album, so simple, choose vinyl or CD...mono or stereo and that's about it, right??....WRONG!! These guys know all about every edition, the sources for each remaster, how much NR was used on which one, as I'm sure you know
some of them even have graphs of the soundwaves for comparison for chrissakes!
It's certainly the case for SF Sorrow and All Things Must Pass which have threads that are pages long devoted to all manner of sonic details. I have to say that I'm usually quite happy with my music until someone comes along and tells me there's a better way to hear it!!
Did have me buying a copy of SF Sorrow in stereo though as it dawned on me that I've only ever known the mono...saving it for a special occasion!
Trying to exercise some restraint...I used to say I wouldn't get into the mono-stereo / remasters and all kinds of upgrades but it kinda creeps in with your favourites and for myself, gets a bit out of hand...I just don't have the cash for all that kinda stuff!

It could be called nerdy I suppose but aren't most music dedicated forums nerdy to some degree?

I admit I only became concerned with sound quality when I got some fantastic speakers so I think, unless you've got some pretty good speakers/headphones/earphones then I probably wouldn't notice for the most part. I also found out that I wasn't enjoying some new cd remasters of some of my favourite music, Bob Marley, so I'd also say that it helps if you have great 'taste' in music (nudge nudge). I also tend to have only one version of all the music I keep. That keeps my music collection down to a minimum. Last and not least, I like to listen to music much much more than talking or discussing it which is probably actually why I don't write on this forum very much.

This is probably blasphemy here but I don't usually buy my music nowadays, I get it from other 'friends' I find on the internet, I'm wondering if that makes me nerdy or not?

Toodaloo.

Skip Bifferty
It's just possible that mono doesn't exist so I'd ask you not to take my word on it.

Mono most certainly exists.

Wallace has orig press on Immediate. No laminaturd cover ,also no back-flaps.

Monos came in two label colours.

(Wallace also gots this strange Columbia label, US press stereo.)

Hello Wallace. How do you think the mono compares to the stereo, is it very similar or is it quite different? I assume you like this album?
P.S. Why do you refer to yourself as a third person?

I must say that i used to try and getto hear mono and stereo versions of albums but to be truthful i found the differences so minut that i feel there was no point wanting to hear both,the biggest difference between a mono versus a stereo mix was Piper at the Gates of Dawn,a few obvious differences on there i must say.Ive never heard Tomorrows self titled album in mono so i cant comment on that one.I know that Now Sounds release a fair bit of reissues in mono,particularly all The Association albums and more lately The Cryan Shames cd reissue of Scratch in the sky.Give me mono,give me stereo,if the albums good i dont really care now if its mono or stereo.

Thanks for that info Stuart. I hadn't heard of the mono Piper before so I'm definitely looking forward to hearing that. The Tomorrow album sounds quite different so I think you should check that out (there was a link a while ago - I can post it again). If I remember rightly, some of the early traffic stuff sounded quite different in mono and there are a few other examples as well.

You're right though, the quality of the music is what matters most. Often, the mono/stereo debate goes hand in hand with which version is mastered better, sometimes it's mono, sometimes it's stereo. Don't get me wrong though, I love stereo.

Piper in mono sounds great - very different, you hear a lot more. I'm also enjoying the 3rd cd - the Paintbox song is particularly great!

Oh yes, quite often, if there's an album in your collection which you quite like but can't quite put your finger on why you don't like it, it might be worth looking at the version you have! I've just found this out with CSNY and Deja Vu!

Tracked down those Autumn '67 recordings. I'd heard they were quite rough sounding
but I think they sound great. Some songs only sound different in a subtle way, while others, like my absolute fave track, 'The Cry of Eugene' sound quite different indeed...guitar sounds more blistering...love this!
Thanks for heads up Skip

That's a pleasure.