UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
(60s)Nirvana

Been spinning a lot of Nirvana lately,the following albums have been getting played:
The story of simon simopath
All of us
To Markos 3
Songs of Love and Praise
All 4 albums to my ears are just cracking,of course most of you will be familiar with those albums,but the "Songs of Love and Praise"album is possibly the hardest to find,i really like this album,no psych to my ears but pretty exquisite pop like all Nirvanas albums its very well arranged with well used orchestration,trumpets and piano in the mix,i must mention the beautiful cover too,suits the music very well and would look splendid framed and put up on the wall.To be truthful not as good as those first 3 albums,but a good listen none the less.Anyone else heard "Songs of Love and Praise"which was recorded in 1972 and enjoy it??Finally the album "Anaesthetic"(wrong spelling i know)i have NEVER heard this album,can someone give a bit feedback on this one?I think it was released on the Vertigo label.............!!I have read poor things about it but to get a description from the nice folk here would top that!!
Thank you,
Stuart

Re: (60s)Nirvana

Hi Stuart,
I have all 5 Nirvana albums as Japanese mini LP CDs. I haven't played Local Anaesthetic (Vertigo 1971) for a while, so I'll have to spin it again. I think it's still pop but a bit more experimnental than their 60s stuff. If you like 'Songs Of Love And Praise' you'll still like 'Local Anaesthetic', it's just a bit more off the wall in places. The reason both thes titles have been historically dissed by collectors / fans is because they are 2 albums from the 70s and therefore don't sound like 60s Nirvana. A lot of 60s Nirvana fans don't like the 70s arrangements of Pentecost Hotel or Rainbow Chaser on 'Songs of...' and feel they affront the originals. I love all of 'em myself.

PM

Have no longer got them a collector bought in the set sale when i had to move over 10 yrs ago i picked up SOLAP in 1980 for 8 quid it was a VG+.

Right, well I've just played Nirvana's 'Local Anaestheic' album again and I need to contradict meyself to an extent.

It's nothing like the other 3 Nirvana albums! It's 5 songs long (track 6 is a 3 second piano tinkle!). Track 1 takes up most of side 1 of the original LP and is 15 minutes long. It's not so much a track as a collage of cut and pasted home demos and jams. Lots of funky rock rhythms, very typical of early Vertigo label stuff. I can hear early Hawkwind and Mott The Hoople in there at different times as well as some 12 bar boogie and prog pop generally. Enjoyable after the first 5 minutes or so which is just dirge.It opens in fact with a loud shout!

There's nothing uplifting or joyful on this which of course there was on the other Nirvana albums. It's all very introspective, track 3 in fact reminds me a lot of Jimmy Campbell's solo albums. Most of it is piano led and mid paced.

I can see why this album is not liked by Nirvana fans, it's the polar opposite of what you might expect to hear.

It's just 33 minutes long and probably sounds better stoned or just in the background. As an album it has no direction or focus and makes no sense, it's just bits and peices, but nonetheless, it has its own appeal. Just don't expect to hear anything catchy!

PM