UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shapes & Shadows comp

I’ve just been playing the new Chapter 1 label anthology CD ‘Shapes & Shadows’ on Grapefruit. Not a bad collection and all from the masters so even the repeats from other comps sound better. The Bliss, Morning Glory and Putney bridge (especially ‘What’s It All About’) are great. Nice to have both sides of the Christopher single from master tapes as well. I liked David Wells’ opening liner notes about the cheesy acts that made up a lot of the Chapter 1 roster like Gerry Monroe. Anyone old enough to recall his version of ‘I’ll Be Seeing You In Apple Blossom Time’? My parents loved it! This is a nice comp and sits well next to Graprefruit's Spark label anthology.

Given Chapter 1 was set up by band leader and song writer Les Reed, I could do with anthology early-mid 70s label Alaska, which was another band leader and producer, John Schroeder’s pet project. There were some belting rock-pop on that label, much of it pricey in the original now, Alan Lee Shaw – ‘She Moans’, Barry Blood – ‘Poor Annie’, Tubthumper’s ‘Kick Out The Jams’ for instance. Schroeder's original intention I think was much like Reed’s as an outlet for more balladic offerings with a mum & dad appeal at the time. Glad that wasn’t all they recorded!

PM

Re: Shapes & Shadows comp

Thanks for the review Paul.

I received notice from Cherry Red yesterday that my pre-order has been dispatched, so I'll have it by next weekend here in Canada. I really enjoyed 'Hello Everyone', so there was no hesitation in ordering this when it was announced back in July. Glad to hear it was the right decision!

Gotta agree with Paul,this is a very entertaining and a much enjoyed listen,even the Episode 6 tracks are great being in the company of the little known gems,though Episode 6 are probably the best known act on this collection they do sound fresh and the best i've heard their tracks sound that are on this collection.I just love The Bliss,man they sound like early Magna Carta or am i talking daft?Putney Bridges numbers are all good too and what can i say about Christophers "The Race",one word,brilliant!!!!!!!!You also have 2 of The Matchmakers tracks which of course was a Mark Wirtz thing,their own collection comes out soon on RPM,so watch out for that."The Elephant Song"by another Mark Wirtz project Philwit and Pegasus is great and imo the best thing they recorded.I could go on and bore you to tears but i wont,this is as enjoyable as Grapefruits last collection of the Spark Label.Highly recommended !!!!Bring us more...........

The race was on piccadilly sunshine it sounded familar to me

First thing that was apparent about this great cd was the shimmering clarity of the sound on the opening track 'What's it all about' by Putney Bridge...boy that's a belter of a tune, well crafted and performed... the mastering on this disc lets it really shine...

Agree with everyone above on the splendid nature of this comp and I'll just add a mention for the cover of 'You've Got Your Troubles' by The Californians...wasn't expecting much from it but this is a glorious version!!

The whole package is exemplary.
More Please!!