UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EZine update

Hi,
I am aiming to give the potential eZine some attention in late April / May. Thanks to those who have already emailed me. One theme I would like to see covered on an ongoing basis, is memory / oral history, which everyone here can be involved in. I would really like readers to put digits to keypad and write, in your own words your thoughts or memories on issues like the following:

Your first encounter with a British psych / underground record (hearing, buying, taping or whatever)

Your first British psych / Underground band gig (weather it be in the 1960s or the 2000s)

Recollections of local music venues, record shops, clubs, freak-friendly pubs, eateries etc. (yes Infinity Foods, Brighton, I have you in mind)

Importantly, when you have done this at home and saved it, please email me with the results, don't post them here, as I want to collate them for a first issue.

I should add, this wil not be superficial nostalgia. The results (if enough people contribute their recollections) will be an interesting historical slice of life survey of how Jo and Joanne Public engage(d) with the music, highlight buildings, sites etc. at a local level that maybe don't register anywhere else even locally etc.

Therefore I am not looking for erudite word smithery, just an account in your own words of your memories, response or whatever on how you came to psych and its environs! You wouldn't be reading this notice board unless you were into the music, so everyone of you, weather you post or just lurk, will have something valid to say on this, as it will be unique to your own experience, so do please contribute. I'll not put a word limit on it, as I want you to feel free to say as much or as little as you like.

Lastly, just a reminder that this will NOT be SFA MkII, SFA was unto itself a unique writerly experience shaped by those who ran it, which we all treasure. Hopefully this little eZine if it takes off will be in the same spirit of openess and participation and share the same ethos and zeitgeist! It will I hope, at least help fill in the gap between issues of 'Flashback' mag which does such a good job on the Brit scene, and which SFA was more than a mere precursor to.

Looking forward to hearing from you off list

PM

Re: EZine update

P.S
Needless to say if you have any other ideas for themes or ideas for articles etc, do let me know.

PM

Oh yes, and also, if anyone wants to remain anonymous or use a psuedonym for their writing that's cool, just say when you email me. My email address (which would be helpful!) is: all60s@tiscali.co.uk.

PM

Is the 1st experience thing restricted to GB groups?

Well I was thinking in terms of the RZ remit which is UK psych, but I think given the impact of 'first hearing' something, then it could just be opened up to psych per se wherever it comes from, wherever you first heard it.

PM

Having thought about it a bit more, and having one or to people ask me, I think this idea can be opened somewhat further. So to clarify, everyone will have their own journey towards psych, it is unlikely the first record anyone ever heard in their life was a psych record, but who knows!

Therefore, I'd like to see this feature be something about how RZ people came to the music and the journey to get there / here! So, tell us about the first record your bought, first band you saw (or played in even), your first musical enthusiams, the twists or turns that altered that or led you onto other musical tangents and tastes (DJing for instance). In short, your musical journey and how psych figures in it. What is its importance for you either in itself or as part of your wider muscial pallete?

Depending on response this might be a regular feature or a one off, but it would be interesting to share real experiences in this virtual environment.

PM

Also want: Reviews of new or recent reissues (vinyl and CD)or undiscovered gems / music enthusiasms; reports of relevant events attended; considerations and appreciations of your favourite psych or related records; why you think an as yet unreissued 45 or album should see the light of day (make an argument for it).

I hope these suggestions are strirring some positive thoughts to keypad action. Do email your own suggestions for themes you'd like to see covered or 'features' etc.

Lastly, suggestions for the eZine's title are also invited. It should reflect the wider remit envisioned (as outlined above and in my last post) whilst still embracing the psych ethos at its core. So something like 'Sweet Floral Albion' would be too specific, something like 'Sound Exploding Universe' would imply a wider brief, though I don't envisage it being called that! Thinking caps on please!

PM

you could call it UK PSYCHE-ZINE

PsychGeist
Came up with it as a group name years ago but never used it. Lots of extra meanings in it - if it has't been used before that is

Thanks for these guys and Stuart who also emailed in.

PM

Electric Teapot Conspiracy. etc for short.