UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Love it Or Hate it

Just wondering if there were any bands you could think of from late 60s/early 70s that fit into this category. Usually you can find some bands that everybody either quite likes, or doesn't mind, but there are some that seem to be black or white with no in betweens for most people.
Pavlov's Dog springs to mind. Very divisive. Personally I was never a fan of Velvet Underground but know that lots of others rate them very highly.

Re: Love it Or Hate it

springing straight to mind - The Doors

Grateful Dead
Zappa
Captain Beefheart
Yes
Dusty Springfield
King Crimson
Soft Machine
Gentle Giant
Rush
ELP
Supertramp
Hawkwind
Gong

I think you get my drift

Elton john. ELO apart from the first album. Wings.

omg, hating Dusty is tantamount to treason

Phil, i did think i got it, because I guess all of those bands have similarities of sorts, being prog or sligtly bizarre, except for Dusty Springfield.

Nothing similar in any respect to anyone else on that list.

I do like the first King Crimson album, but nothing after that.

I wouldn't say I hate Dusty her music has never ever grabbed me and I dont know why I loved the 60's gals just not Dusty

I understand the rationale but I can't attribute 'hate' to something as wonderous as music.(unless it's abused as the examples below in my opinion) It just conjurs up unwelcome images of US redknecks burning piles of disco records on a football ground or likewise Beatles albums in the US South before it. Musical taste is totally subjective though I appreciate the need for a personal filter that defines that for us. And with that in mind....

What doesn't appeal to me:

Countrypolitan 60s music -sophorific sweetened country syrup for consumption by whitebread cross burning Christian American suburbanites!! Grrrr.. Many fine artists forced to record bad records by their labels because that was all that was selling at the time apparently (according to BBC4 anyway).

White people doing reggae badly or wrongly (in my opinion) 10CC - without a dreadlock in sight on holiday or otherwise. Even worse, Typically Tropical's 'Woah I'm Going To Barbados' whatever happened to 'Coconut Airways'?

Power ballads. There's loads of good ones people could name I know, but the very genre makes me shudder in the same way as when I check out a film listing on TV and the words 'rom com' are in the first sentence, next....

Terminology - 'drive time' and 'classic rock' Both stoopid media terms that serve to reduce good music into some kind of reductionist box they can't escape from. 'Yacht rock' on the other hand just makes me mightily :relaxed: sea sick.

By the way, I love Dusty Springfield!! 'I close my eyes and count to ten....'

PM

one shed phil
Grateful Dead
Zappa
Captain Beefheart
Yes
Dusty Springfield
King Crimson
Soft Machine
Gentle Giant
Rush
ELP
Supertramp
Hawkwind
Gong

I think you get my drift
Many of the bands cited had actually very different musical pahts during their careers, just thin of Zappa, King Crimson (like the first LP and a couple of the 7's one too), like a lot Soft Machines with Wyatt, not much interesting the other ones, Supertramp first LP was really prog, then changed style a loto but Breakfast is a pop masterpiece anyway. I like a lot some Dusty's songs (The Look Of Love is an undeniable masterpiece) ut all in all not much my kind of stuff, the same for Rush

I think, looking through the contributions that there are probably not too many "marmite" examples. Most people can think of at least one track from even the most cheesey or uncool artists that for them is a "guilty pleasure" - sorry for using that cringeworthy phrase! By the way there are people out there that have never liked the Beatles, I'm guessing a few may have spat out their coffee reading that and I once met lady who claimed that she didn't like music at all, any music!!!