UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jimmy Nicol(stand in for Beatles Ringo) -It's Getting Better cd,includes"67 Los Nicolquinn lp(mexi

This is a real curio of a cd,and it's dirt cheap,i paid £3 for it,and i recommend it ,this includes his Mexican only album from 1967 titled Los Nicolquinn,and other single sides covering the years 1964-68.He was thrown into the spotlight when he replaced Ringo Starr on drums as Ringo was getting an op in June 1964,just pre tour,so this chap was the stand in for the tour until Ringo returned,which of course he did.

Of course this little spurt of fame could only open doors for him,and unbelievably he put together a group as a tour hed just completed in South America as a member of The Spotniks had ended,so he decided to stay in Mexico and released an album in Mexico in 1967.

I have to be honest,when i first come across this digipak cd,which comes with a booklet,i had never heard he had released an album,and i didnt have high hopes for the contents,but at £3,i jumped on it as its at the least a curio with a Beatles connection,and it comes in a unique looking cover,this cd is released by Timebox.

I am so glad i got this,as the actual Mexican album is goods,i was totally and utterly surprised at how much i enjoyed the album,it has a pretty cool period vibe about it,and some real psych and baroque pop vibes too,it's a worthwhile pop album with the trappings of the psych era,and a well arranged production with full orchestration,the album Los Nicolquinn has a total of 10 tracks,and i'm sure most who frequent here will appreciate much on this album,in fact its been my most surprising find so far this year,because i was not expecting much,the quality was a fantastic surprise.

As for the rest of the cd,it includes singles as Jimmy Nicol and the shubdubs from Feb 64,Jimmy Nicol solo from JUne 64,The Sound of Jimmy Nicol from March 65,including a US only side from April 65,and finally a cover of Jumping Jack Flash from 1968,which was included on a comp from a mexico release at that time.Even some of those single sides were pleasantly surprising with their quality,of course more in a poppy beat/RnB mode popular at that time.

I'd say that spending even up to 6 or 7 quid,is worth it for this cd,but i'm sure you can pick it up for as little as £4,i'm sure Amazon had this,plus the likes of ebay,discogs,music magpie,all at cheap price!!I;m sure none of you will regret dispensing of £4 for this well put together cd with an informative booklet,telling the story of his time with The Beatles,his pre beatle career,his post Beatle career, and what lead up to this mexican only album,includes the usual story how drugs got a hook into him,but gladly he got through all that,and theres an interview in the booklet with him,along with 2 1964 interviews at the end of the cd.

Re: Jimmy Nicol(stand in for Beatles Ringo) -It's Getting Better cd,includes"67 Los Nicolquinn lp(

That’s interesting, Stu. I’ll have to keep an eye out for that one. For a while I thought the single “Carousel of Love” by The Pete Best Group was the Beatles’ Pete Best. But I was enlightened that it was an Australian Pete Best who made that slice of enjoyable pop-psych.

Re: Jimmy Nicol(stand in for Beatles Ringo) -It's Getting Better cd,includes"67 Los Nicolquinn lp(

Thanks for the heads up Stuart- I've just ordered mine. The bottom seems to have rather fallen out of the CD market at the moment. Second hand shops are full of cheap ones. Suppose its just like when vinyl died in the eighties.

Good call Stuart - There's even a book about it called 'The Beatle Who Vanished'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxQD9y7z38w

PM
:slightly_smiling_face:

Where'd you pick it up?

its available on amazon,ebay,music magpie,all uk.All around the £4 mark.

Thanks for the heads up Stuart I managed to get new copy for under £4 and that was with postage lots of extras on it as well.I have not listened yet though