UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hardin & York-Candlelight from Tomorrow Today lp(Nov 69)+New Box Set

Before i start ,i just want to say that Hardin & Yorks debut album released on November 1969 titled"Tomorrow Today"is highly recommended,it's like a mix of second album Traffic, later Spencer Davis Group(both were in that group) and Procol Harum,with excellent keyboards and vocals,but i wanted to pay special attention to the track"Candlelight",which was also released as a single in May 69,this is a cracker of a song,very much in that second Traffic album mould,with Eddie Hardin sounding uncannily like Steve Winwood with that excellent organ swirling ,and lets not forget that wwhhheeessshhhh sound of the flanging/phasing effect that is on this,this is certainly psych inspired but going other places,but its a fabulous song,and deserves to be heard by more late 60s music enthusiasts,as does the fine album "Tomorrow Today",with tracks like Tomorrow Today,the jazzy prog epic Mountains of Sand with some lovely flute,100 years from Now,Beautiful Day and the excellent final track Listen Everyone,but to my ears theres not a filler on this!!Hard to believe this is a duo of drums,Organ and vocals,with supplemented instruments,but theres such a full sound.
Finally just wanted to say theres a 6 cd clamshell box set just out on the mighty Grapefruit label,titled "Cant Keep a Good Man Down",this features all their albums and much more,including some great BBC sessions,plus some fine out takes ,particularly from the debut album era,and with all Grapefruit releases,a well informative booklet awash with picture sleeves and photos.Ive only managed to listen to cd 1 in full,and the sound quality is absolutely tremendous,looking forward to listening to the rest of this box set,plus the live recordings too.

Re: Hardin & York-Candlelight from Tomorrow Today lp(Nov 69)+New Box Set

Thanks Stuart, I agree about 'Tomorrow Today', a really good organ based album. Do post your thoughts on the other five discs in this set Stuart as it's one I have been considering getting but would appreciate some feedback on it. What's thesound quality of the live disc(s) for instance - are they audience recordings:slightly_smiling_face: ?

Cheers
Paul

i will do Paul,but i can tell you the follow up album to Tomorrow Today,titled "The Worlds Smallest Big Band"was disappointing for me,not a patch on that fab debut,and unfortunately has some filler material on it,its no surprise really as theyd been on constant tour schedule,and had not had the time to write a full album of new material when it came to the second album,so you have in my opinion filler like Rock N Roll Medley and Northern Medley,i didnt enjoy either,to be blunt,this must be for me one of the biggest disappointments of a second album i've heard,after the excellence of their debut,so in my opinion a bitter disappointment,plus more piano this time,and less organ dominated stuff,yes there are some decent tracks like The Pike and I cant find my way Home......just not enough.I've had cds of all their albums for years,but that second album has not improved to my ears in all that time,its certainly not a grower for me,some may like it,i don't.In my opinion all the out takes from the debut are better than most of the material on the second album.

I shall leave some feedback on here once i start working my way through the live stuff,so maybe tomorrow i'll get some time to give them a good listen,and give my opinion on them,including quality of sound,audience noises,i'll be honest i'm not a great lover of live albums with audience,so it maybe hard to raise enthusiasm,for those live albums.

Thanks Stuart.

Paul:relaxed:

I'm with Stuart regarding live albums they just dont do it for me so would put me off getting this box set

Rarely a fan of live albums either, although I'll make an exception for Thin Lizzy-Live & Dangerous

Big fan of the debut LP, but never ventured beyond that as what I heard didn't light my candle. Candlelight is one of my favourite tracks, sounds great on 45 too...