UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Dave Clark Five-Why NO reissues?

Hi Stuart, I agree though there's not that much to salvage of any great note in my opinion.

There's a great looking vinyl box set from a year or two ago, see the unboxing review here:
The Dave Clark Five : All The Hits : The 7" Collection : Vinyl Singles :Box Set Review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mae3PDy1ApI

There's a CD version as well which would be more you I know.

To be honest all those US albums were barely more than 20 minutes long, short even for the time. Their singles were almost all under or just over two minutes long as well. Nonetheless, I agree there deserves to be a comprehensive overview of it all.

The problem with the vinyl and CD sets above is there's not really any of their more interesting singles on it. None of these (mainly for the B sides which I have as both UK and US 45s):

Dave Clark Five (UK) – Nineteen Days / I Need Love (Columbia UK, 1966)
Dave Clark Five (UK) – The Red Balloon / Maze of Love (Columbia 1968)
Dave Clark Five (UK) – Everybody Knows / Concentration Baby (Columbia 1967)
Dave Clark Five (UK) – Tabatha Twitchit / Man In A Pin-Striped Suit (Columbia 1967)
Dave Clark Five (UK) – Julia / Five By Five (Columbia 1970)

There is also a more comprehensive 2 x CD compilation set from 1993 called 'The History of The Dave Clark Five' that does have the above titles on it (50 tracks in all). See discogs listing below (there's also a couple for offer on eBay around £18 mark used). :

https://www.discogs.com/master/696069-The-Dave-Clark-Five-The-History-Of-The-Dave-Clark-Five

As for the RSG series. I believe a good deal of the tapes were wiped before DC got what was left (again correct me if I am wrong) You can source these cheaply on DVDRs on eBay out of Singapore which apparently are legal (or grey area anyway). Both the Beatles and Rolling Stones specials for instance. The first time I saw these I was just blown away with the interaction between artists, anchors and audience, much less Staged than Top of The Pops! Also, don't forget the wonderful RSG hardback book that came out a year or two ago, full of stills from the shows (see Amazon listing for instance):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ready-Steady-Weekend-Starts-Here/dp/1947026348/ref=sr_1_1?crid=6I3IIE539ZEX&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.fP-Wsvo-iGK5_-eDpn99aA.FmXkbuN45UYmEbyHAWmqaLyoVQMb_MY6loi4_ugTqmU&dib_tag=se&keywords=Ready+Steady+Go%21%3A+The+Weekend+Starts+Here%3A+The+Definitive+Story+of+the+Show...&qid=1712422658&s=music&sprefix=ready+steady+go+the+weekend+starts+here+the+definitive+story+of+the+show...%2Cpopular%2C86&sr=1-1

PM:slightly_smiling_face:

Hello Paul,thank you for replying to my long meandering post!

Yes DC5, seemed to have had a low quality bar on some of the recordings they made,as there IS some utter drivel, like most other groups from the early 60s, but Dave Clark owned ALL their recordings unlike the many others from this time, even The Beatles

I DO know there are a fair few outstanding out of their usual ordinary stuff, on albums,B sides and EPs... but there's also many unreleased recordings too, which out of curiosity i'd like to hear.

All this still DOESN'T address why Dave Clark himself has ALWAYS seemed uninterested to make DC5 catalogue available in physical form on Vinyl or cd,or indeed for streaming too, it seems the DC5 are the only top British Pop band from the 60s who's catalogue hasn't been available which is surprising as they were huge in the States where other top British bands couldnt sell a thing!

It's likely that D.C.'s appetite for such projects diminished following the devastating hammer-blow of losing 3 band members in such a short space of time and he would have to consider the sensibilities of their families and respect the memory of his bandmates before embarking on commercial ventures.