One of first 500 of contract C14498 with leg shields

Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Girder fork prts - replace damper discs

Hello, Heiko...
To get the discs out, the lower spindle side link plates must be moved out sideways since the discs are inside 3mm deep recesses in the outer steel discs. And of course the front spindle passes through the disc so that has to come right out. Then the problem is that, if the bike is still resting on its from wheel, the wheel will immediately run away forwards and it will all collapse in an expensive heap...(like a dancer 'doing the splits').
So I used a nylon webbing ratchet strap (the ones often used to hold things - including motorbikes - securely on trailers).
I wrapped the strap round the back of the mudguard and round the front frame down tube. Then tightened it - not too much - don't want to damage anything.

Then slackened the spindle nuts and levered the side plates outward using a bar inside a rubber oil pipe (so as not to damage the paint).
Then tapped the front spindle out, adjusting the strap an necessary, and then hooked out the oily friction discs. Washed it all with petrol on a rag, and reassembled.

Getting the spindle in was fiddly - adjusting the ratchet strap and also used a bar a bit smaller to start with.

Then re-adjust it all.

I think the strap worked better than holding the bike on a stand under the engine. My guess is that if you did that then the forks would sag down instead. Or the main fork spring would upset things. Don't really know!

Good luck!

Re: Girder fork prts

I bought friction discs from Russell Motors a month or so ago. There are some ridiculously thin ones about. 020 7228 1714. Speak to Les - but not Fridays or Mondays.