Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: slightly morbid question about Barry Ryan

This thread has a life of its own! why the fascination with a decades old story

He was in a fire around 1968

I remember my mum hated the song Eloise and when I asked her why, she said it was because Barry Ryan got seriously burned when they were filming a video for it. Apparently there was supposed to be some stunt in a phone box and it went wrong, I've never found anything to back it up

I don't know if this helps anyone,i was also b leeds 1944 and from my house to roundhay open swimming pool I passed there house I think it was elmet ave I knew which house it was.
I was a big fan of marion ryan, I used to go out with a girl carol and meet paul/barry at the swimming pool with some more girls liz,chris some more girls/boys I cant remember them all some went roundhay high school and some to braimwood.
Meeting paul/barry happened quite often mostly after school or w/ends,they were about 8/10 of us

regards john harper

Their father was Fred Sapherson from Leeds
He married Marion Ryan but was then estranged from the family and thy divorced. Fred is also dead.

they bought a bronze from my uncle!

My cash strapped uncle sold a bronze of my cousin, Sarah to one of the Ryan brothers. He was an art student in Birmingham and did this bronze of his first born as a baby, but was too poor to keep it. Anyway, it sold for £60 in about 1970 which certainly paid a few months rent.

surprised this is still going

Only because you just mentioned it Phil.

Thanks Flax olde chap

The internet can be a wonderful place. I had a vague memory of hearing that Barry Ryan was burned in a telephone box - I was 4 years old (yes, I have a ridiculous memory) & recall being quite upset (big sister was a fan). Anyway, as years passed I assumed I must have just had a bunch of muddled memories so was quite amazed to discover that such a long thread existed confirming my freakish memories were in fact correct! Thank you all!

Thanks for the memory Barbara and the guys on this board have kept the thread and memory going

Well, one guy in particular.