View Entire Thread
Re: The Who Sell Out super deluxe edition

Those are shite, and I should know, I made one of them, lol

well take it down then you clown.

Crystal Tipps
well take it down then you clown.
I've now had this for a little over a week and I'm slowly going through it, and thoroughly enjoying it. The packaging is lovely, with lots of bells and whistles (no, there aren't any real bells and whistles included), and the sound! God damn, it's good!
I don't have a turntable, so the 45's are just nice to look at - but I'm sure they sound great.

I'm listening to CD 4: 'The Road to Tommy' as I write, and it's f*cking awesome!!

Anyone else picked this one up yet?

Yes, I've got through the mono and stereo discs of the album + bonuses so far and really enjoying it. I like the way the whole package is done with the discs in their own wallets mounted inside the book that have further spoof adverts behind them. Some people can't be doing with the extra toot but I love the repro posters and trendy night club membership cards. I get all that stuff out to look at when I'm playing the discs, gives the whole thing a very colourful context. I like the essays in the book on different aspects of the album from the sleeve design and photogrpahy to the inclusion and exclusion of different tracks. I think the proportion of detail in this sense is just right. As much as I love the big Beatles super deluxe box sets, there is such a lot of technical detail on the recording side in the books that I just find myself dipping in to and flipping through the text rather than reading from cover to cover. This Who set though gives you enough without making you glaze over.

PM:slightly_smiling_face:

I've always classed this album as The Whos psychedelic album,whetrher anyone else thinks that i don't know!!I got deluxe box set last week,i loved all the niknaks,particularly the copy of the poster given out with so many copies of the original album,its a thing of beauty!

As i know the album so well,i skipped the mono and stereo,and went straight to the stuff i'm not as familiar with,all the extras.still to give the demos a full listen that Pete Townsend did in his home studio.The extras are brilliant,hearing them in alternative forms or takes,or works in progress,makes me even more convinced this was the Who at their most lysergic sounding,i had the double cd set issued quite a few years ago,which had a chunk of extra tracks which wee tremendous,but this box set,is on another level,but of course its much pricier than that old deluxe cd,but theres so much more,i paid £84 for this super deluxe box set,ive seen it going for near a £100 now in some places.So i'm happy i preordered this a while back.In my view,yes its a fair amount to pay,and i always think these type of box sets can price many people out of the market,which is always a shame,this is a major treat to myself,as ive only ever spent this much on one box set and that was the 13th Floor Elevators,which was an immense but at first overwhelming box set to go through!!

I agree with Paul,this does not give you that too much at one time scenario i had with 13th Floor Elevators,the makers,designers have got a good balance,i so enjoyed looking through the book,its not too much,with too much technical info etc,its ceretainly well put together,seemds sturdy enough to withstand years of taking out and playing,which many box sets cant do.The main thing of course,is the music,and WOW!!Theres much excellent music to be found on here,lots of it!!In fabulius sound to,even the home demos.

Ive always preferred Sell Out as an album to Tommy,i find Tommy overblown in parts,and some of the songs just dont do it for me the same as this cracking album!!How the hell did the single I Can See For Miles not be bigger than it was chart wise,an absolute mystery and a real highlight in The Whos history of recordings,and in the history of UK psychedelia.

I found that Roger Daltrey is not lead vocal as often on this album, as he would be with Tommy and onwards!!Which gives a variety in that department,dont get me wrong ,i love Daltreys voice,but it changed with time and develpment,he became a rock singer with Tommy ,if you know what i mean?This is the last time i see him as this UK mod gruff vocalist....he with Tommy sorta turned into a big international rock singer ,to me this is the last album,where they were a great group,but Tommy sent them to the stratosphear,so i love this album as they still seemed accessable as people at this time,before total craziness really took off,as their international stardom shot up like a star!!Still a trully British group with this album Sell Out,before international stardom.......and dare i say it celebritydom....yuk!!!!

BRILLIANT ALBUM,BRILLIANT BOX SET!!!

I agree on the vocals Stuart. It was part of th democratisation process they decided on (according to the book). I think it's all the more interesting for that too. I agree about 'See For Miles'. We forget the enormous over-exposure of stuff like Englebert Humperdink's 'Last Waltz Wiht You' etc. at the timethat crowded out anything more creative! Personally, I still think 'Armenia City In The Sky' is one of the all-time best opening tracks of an album and certainly the most psychedelic.

I see also from reading the book notes for CD 3 that there is to be an expanded 'future' edition of The Who at the BBC as well.