UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mainstream UK pop goes odd

I had a look at this post from a year ago,and as usual my mood and motivation went from up to the sky to below the ground within days of starting this list of artistes and songs,i did have others listed,and ready to go last year....but because i was annoyed with myself,with frustration ,paranoia etc,i binned those lists......lol....,now i'm looking to start again,right through my UK 60s and 70s cds,starting at A....to note acts that tried something different to their usual fare,i'll try and stick to the years 65 to 75,a 10 year bridge,that just verges on the starting inklings of punk,and prog music was looked at as a monstrosity,where melody had been lost to virtuosity,pretentiousness and showing off..leading to triple albums and in many cases boredom...mind you saying that i'm listening to a 1975 progressive pop album by Kestrel this second as i write....its enjoyable!!!

Anyway as usual,i'm going off subject,it would be great,if anyone can be bothered,or are interested enough to throw in suggestions,as its been quite quiet here lately,i know i can get lacklustre a lot,probably too much,hence i vanish for ages and pop up again,thats just my life in general to be honest.....anyway thank you for putting up with my waffling,im kind off itching to start looking again,this time,i'll also include information on year,where the song appears,either a B side,originally unreleased or an album track as examples,and what cd the song is available on.....as theres no vinyl in my flat.

Ill not include any of the ones i mentioned already in this list on this thread.
Cheers everyone,i hope youre all doing ok and feeling ok.
Stuart

Looking forward to it Stuart.

Fantastic list! I understand where you're going based on the small number of songs from the list that I'm actually familiar with. Just wondering if there are any compilations out there that do a good job of mining this area. Seems right up Cherry Red's alley.

mb

MOR please Stuart...MOOOOOR

For those that don't know, Stuart has been hit by the virus. Best wishes to him and hoping for a full recovery.:face_with_thermometer: :face_with_thermometer:

Get well soon Stuart, hope you don't have it bad mate.

Paul:wink:

Get well soon Stuart.😀

Oh shit... heal fast Stuart!

Get well soon Stuart.

Hope ye are on the mend soon Stuart Miss Minnie misses you

I read on Fb that dear Stuart is on the mend hopefully he will be home soon to Minnie

Good news!

Good afternoon peeps,
Many thanks for the kind words.
Yes unfortunately i got very ill with Covid,and spent over a week in hospital,it was one of the worst weeks ive had and the most ill ive felt,but luckily i've been let home,i'm very weak,i'm still sick,i've lost a lot of weight,i'm absolutely exhausted,but i'll happily take as long as it takes for me and my body to regain energy and strength,and i'm over the moon to be with my wee feline companion Minnie.......i missed her lots and probably worried about her than i did myself.
Also there was a few packages on the floor when i got home,the Tintern Abbey,Fire,Grandfather"Dear Mr Time",The Woods Band and the compilation"Choctaw Ridge"......so hopefully over the next few days,i'll get round to spinning those cds,ive had the opportunity to play most of the Bob Stanley comp"Choctaw Ridge"The New Fables Of The American South 1968-73.This has utterly surprised me,i am thoroughly enjoying this.....because the track selection by Bob Stanley is immaculate,i'm not a country fan,in fact its one of my least enjoyable genres(for example i dislike enormously The Byrds country era),but this is more funky southern swampy at times with a slight vibe of country,but NOT nashville traditional country with steel guitar galore,though of course it does feature,this is Bobby Gentry,Tony Joe White,Lee Hazelwood,Jim Ford and that type of groovy late 60s vibe of working class life,where Bobby Gentry became a pop star,the likes of her albums and Tony Joe White albums are tremendous,this is an extension of that sound,my least favourite is Mike Nesmith track"Joanne"i've never been a big fan of his Country rock excursions with The Monkees or his early 70s albums,though i do agree he was kinda ahead of the curve with the country rock thing.It's a genre that can on the occassion ring with me with the more cosmic spaced country...or it just leaves me utterly cold,and i cant turn it off quick enough,i'm not a big lover of the sound of the steel guitar,sorry but it does not connect with me at all,in fact i find it as attractive as nails across a blackboard.Give me the first 3 Grateful Dead albums anyday over Workingmans dead and American Beauty.......sorry but i find them utterly boring.....great if you want to doze off.

Thats my feedback on the comp,i recommend it,and my view on country rock in general...hopefully i'll leave some feedback on the other cds ive received.

Thanks again peeps for the good wishes!!

Michael,there is a cracking cd comp titled"Marshmallow Skies"released by Teensville label,but it's mainly US stuff,with a few UK acts,i'd recommend that if you want to hear more way out stuff by 4 Seasons,Del Shannon,Billy Fury,Gene Vincent etc,it's a very enjoyable comp.

Also about 20 years ago,Paul Martin who is a frequent visitor here,put together a cdr series called "Dream Weavers",which was in the same ballpark of mainstream pop acts etc doing something different...i'm sure not long after Paul came up with this concept,a grey area label put together something similar,it may have been 3 cds or something,i seem to vaguely remember this.....can anyone else remember this release?

Paul if you see this,how many Dream Weavers did you do?If possible,can you remember the tracklists at all??Thank you.

Thanks Stuart. And glad to see you're on the mend! I'll definitely check out Marshmallow Skies. It's funny you mention Dream Weavers. That was what immediately came to mind when I originally read this thread, but I couldn't remember the name of the comp, only that it was a CDR that I received many years ago from Paul Martin. I just dug it out and look forward to getting reacquainted. My sleeve didn't have a volume number, but the tracks included cuts from Tommy Roe, Rick Nelson, Bill Ramsey, Billy Fury, Roy Orbison, Del Shannon, Lou Christie Saco, the Everly Brothers, Gene Vincent, the Ventures, Bobby Darrin, Brian Hyland, Marvin & Farrar, Hank Marvin, the Shadows, Cliff & Hank, Bobby Vee, and the Four Seasons.

mb