UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: PETE DELLO AND FRIENDS Into Your Ears (Special 2CD Edition)

I've got the Repertoire CD reissue of this fine album,but this 2 cd set Looks a must have!!

Funnily enough Paul its the Colin Hare album on cd I've never been able to track down.... when I do find it it's well above the price I can afford!!

I also wish someone would issue the Honeybus "Recital"album on cd, I do have some tracks from this album on on a double Honeybus cd competition from quite a few years ago, but it doesn't seem to have been fully available on cd!!

The demos with Honeybus and Bill Fay are excellent, I'd love to hear more if there was more recorded.....

Although this arrived on the 19th of December, I'm just listening to it now (started with the original 1971 Nepantha mix), and it is so much warmer than what we're used to. Seriously, Thomas Walsh sums it up so much better than I ever could in the liners notes:
"It’s a different musical animal altogether. Some of the songs feature alternate vocals, different instrumentation, different lead and harmony vocal melody lines, extra brass, no brass...all in all a revelation."

I'm listening to the second disc now, Hanky Panky’s 2005 edition - although I haven't got to the bonus tracks yet - and it is great and the way I'm accustomed to hearing it, but it sounds like an mp3 version compared to the Nepantha mix. In my opinion, it's worth purchasing just for the original mix alone.

The packaging is quite nice, three panel gatefold with the 16 page booklet in the centre. Lyrics are printed on the three inside panels of the gatefold, with the essays, photos and memorabilia in the booklet. All in all, a lovely addition to everyone who visits this site.

Thanks Mark, due on 12th Jan with Amazon UK and about the same time with Juno here, so will pick it up form one or the other (same price). Glad to hear it's a tri-panel card sleeve and not a jewel case. Sounds like a lot of fun. I don't think I have heard the 2005 version in a number of years so will be quite an interesting comparative listen. Do the liners say what the source is for the Nepantha mix?

PM
:relaxed:

Paul Martin
Thanks Mark, due on 12th Jan with Amazon UK and about the same time with Juno here, so will pick it up form one or the other (same price). Glad to hear it's a tri-panel card sleeve and not a jewel case. Sounds like a lot of fun. I don't think I have heard the 2005 version in a number of years so will be quite an interesting comparative listen. Do the liners say what the source is for the Nepantha mix?

PM
:relaxed:
Hi Paul,

It doesn't really state in the liners if the Nepantha mix is from the master:
"Original album released in 1972 as Nepantha 6437001...
DISC 1 mastered by Javier Roldón at Vacuum Mastering, May 2022"
Further on it says:
"Due to absence of original master tapes some tracks have been mastered from the best vinyl sources available, and have been included here for their historical significance."
But I think here they're referring to some of the bonus tracks.

I have heard no surface noise whatsoever on the Nepantha mix, so it may be from the master... but that is just my personal opinion, I could be wrong.