UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Psychedelic Moods/Psychedelic Psoul

An interesting pair of albums here, from 1966 and 1967.

A studio only USA group featuring Rusty Evans as producer and writer. Musicians include David Bromberg, Victoria Pike (song writer and wife of Teddy Randazzo) and others. They had 2 LPs released under different names.

The full title of the 1966 LP is "Psychedelic Moods (A Mind Expanding Phenomena)"; the band named here as "The Deep". Released in November 1966 on the Parkway label in both mono [P7051] and stereo [SP7051] editions. {I suggest you avoid the radioactive bootleg for all the usual reasons.}

The follow-up album was issued on the Columbia label [CL2656 mono, CS2656 stereo], with the band now credited as "The Freak Scene" and the album title is "Psychedelic Psoul".

Re: Psychedelic Moods/Psychedelic Psoul

I have both of these. I prefer the second one.

I see the embedded youtube links have stopped working, so here's URLs for the playlists:

Psychedelic Moods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ0NkmxbTIE&list=PL92FqqwK7NR2cfFmcozgygZMQv5RFkLAq

Psychedelic Psoul:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcoQ4wtNa_A&list=OLAK5uy_ldtmcOA5hqyygJIviGsgEM-vtg14WoDOY

Because of the (unfortunate) front cover where "Psychedelic Psoul" is put directly above Freakscene, peeps - what is the word? - misconstrued it to think the band named P.Psoul. (An even better example of confusion-rendering is the Joyride/Friendsound lp.)

Rusty Evans started off as rockabilly, releasing his first lp ,"I lived,I loved,I lost" in '63. Then there was the "Songs of Our Land" lp which - as you may think from the title - had Guthrie/Seeger folk moves. I think two other lps followed - none of interest here.

He shared Greenwitch venue with the likes of folkies like Fred Neil and Dylan. (Crosby too.)

2 Folkways lps and "All Night Singers" with two women in the band.

In '65, Rusty first dipped into "psych"-lite with the single "1983" on Musicor label.

Later he had connections with the excellent Tripsichord Music Box, Its A Beautiful Day and 5th Pipe Dream.

The Deep kicked-off as an exploito lp - even though clearly garage. Freakscene, moreso.

The trouble with The Freak Scene lp is the throw-away counterculture-narration track.
"Draft Beer Not Students" is plain irksome (and very dated) fill.

The other thing is that it was recorded high into the treble. This can grate if you take in the whole lp - however short it is - at one listen.

Oh yeah - there is a slowed-down version of the classic, "Million Grains of Sand" on the Marcus lp -bitta orchestrated as well.

Marcus Uzilevsky [1937-2015] used the name Rusty Evans and was known as Ry Cooper earlier in his career. That's the name he uses for the incredible prophetic single '1983'/'The Game of Life' released in 1966:

His other aliases include Marcus and Uzca.

The Deep album can hardly be described as expoitative, as at that time there was no psychedelic bandwagon to jump onto. Also, being over 50 years old, it's unsurprising to find some younger folk think this stuff sounds 'dated'. Duh!

The Marcus song 'Million Grains of Sand' has been released in atleast 2 versions - the demo one

...and a longer version featuring sitar, flute, cello, electric guitar and drums, on the 1969 album 'Marcus' {also released as 'Children of Aquarius'}:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk60eFDiE7A&list=OLAK5uy_ngDp-uLfLo5MeuWZS66zojWsgAqYdmN3E&index=1

There's also a 2CD release by Light In The Attic of the original LP plus outakes, running to 42 tracks, for the bargain price of USA $14. [Don't forget import tax and shipping charges!]

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/741-marcus-original-lp-and-outtakes

Enjoy!

Steve:

Okay. The word "exploito" should not have been used for The Deep. Afterall, its claimed to be the first homogeneous "psych" lp (With LPS like Malachi and - I believe - Pat Kilroy being less consistent.)

But there was an incipient psych "bandwagon" in '65 that The Deep could have drawn from. Who is to say.

Albeit not lps but singles: 13 floor Elevators,Byrds,Holy Modal Rounders,Fowley,Euphoria, Spikedrivers, Yardbirds and maybe the start of it all -but which US psycheads would be adverse to admit - Donovan. And the very influential Jerry Cole (ID)was moving away from surf as early as late '65 recordings.

Things were moving VERY FAST so, yes, there was not much time for all-out exploitation, but there was influence.

Asounds very much like P F Sloan.

Enjoy the deep album,more a sorta garage/folkrock mix with a slight otherworldly sound for the time, also enjoy the freak scene psychedelic psoul album, plus the Marcus album has some fine moments, all 3 have had cd reissues, all with bonus tracks, didn't he go on to production and was also involved in the brogues?a very interesting character from the mid 60s,in the early days of the counterculture and the music that was attached to it,as for the deep album being exploito, I can't see how it can be even influenced, as this was one of the first albums connected to the burgeoning psychedelic scene and sound, 3 albums came out around the same time in 66, 13th floor elevators psychedelic sound of,blues magoos psychedelic lollipop and of course the deep album,at this time this type of music was in it's infancy but of course it very soon became the next big thing,that's when the exploito albums were being cheaply made to cash in on this new big thing,most of them made by faceless session musicians, many featuring jerry Cole, who's inner sounds of the id was innovative as well, just like the deep album.could there have been psych exploito albums in 1966? Personally I don't think so.exploito was a cashing in on something that was very popular, in 1966 it certainly wasn't popular. That's my take on it guys.

"Deep - Psychedelic Moods Of The Deep 3-LP. Triple album set featuring all the relevant material from this legendary psychedelic outfit. The 1966 LP (originally on Cameo Parkway) was recorded by psych-pioneer RUSTY EVANS, with a little help from songwriting partner and producer Mark Barkan, the legendary David Bromberg (who's played with Bob Dylan and many others) and a bevy of spirited exploitation studio musicians."

Wallace has not list to The Deep lp for over 20 years now, but, on taking the short 31 minutes in this morning, Wallace be distinctly under-whelmed on the psychedelic front.
Nonetheless, like Stuart said, for the time it must have stood out with some peeps scratching their heads.

The lead track, "Coloured Dreams" first thing that comes to mind, of course is Dylan. (One member was afterall involved with Dylan). This track, and later on "Turned On" is straight from "Maggie's Farm" period. The nigh-rap ramblings on the first track immediately bringing to mind "Subterranean Homesick Blues".

The second track, "When Rain is Black" sounds unsurprizingly straight to me yet "something IS happening here, Mr Jones" since the mold is being broken: the song is about death. We are coming into one of the -albeit minor - hallmarks of psych: to break away from the saccharine verses.

"Crystal Night" is banjo-sound crap that would have fit in a bar scene on Bonanza.(One finger-played piani anorl.)

The tedious "Wake up and Find Me". Absolutely nothing remotely "psych" here, Jimmehs.

"Trip '76" with the lyrics, "We're going on a pleasure ride to see what's on the other side" and "the future coming on too soon". Same four guitar notes throughout.

"Shadows on the Wall" Vibes, lounge moves,guitar played like one drunk - sounds exactly that to my ear -drunk (like "Rainy Day Women #12 and #35") not tripping.

"Psychedelic Moon" sung out of tune. "There's no reason I can't love you beneath the psychedelic moon." Almost a joke-track.

And the lp gets even worse towards the end. "Choice To Choose". Really nothing psych here except the NON-love lyrics.
And the Simon & Garfunkel-ish closer (with bells) "On Off, on off" ending with a few seconds of "Joy To The World"and an explosion (also taken from S&G -though Wallace has not checked the release dates.)

Overall psych-ey? "A Mind-expanding phenomena"?
Not really.

Vibes, drums played like tymphani, sound effects thrown in (pigs at the trough and, later on, sounds like pelicans fighting over today's catch.) All this is okay....but....