UK Psychedelia Discussion Forum

Regal Zonophone 2

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Dry Dock County LP 1970 Mercury

Does anyone know anything about this band/LP?

There isn't much on the web but it is rather good to my mind. Nice country elements with some psych and beatlesque pop mixed in. There are a couple of tracks on Youtube and a review from Amazon (below). I have the the ordinary version which includes a 4 sheet insert/poster with information about the group and the correct songs order -an incorrect list is shown on the sleeve. There is also a promo version and 3 singles are listed on Discogs. But none feature non-LP songs. A French re-issue CD came out in 2009.

Excellent 1970 Country Rock - Think Loggins & Messina
Dry Dock County was originally a highly accomplished studio band working with hit makers of the late 60s and early 70s including The Cowsills, Neil Sedaka, The Everly Brothers and Cashman West. When their only LP was recorded and released in 1970, the influences of their studio work for others shows through. The LP starts with a highlight - Together As Friends - that resonates Buffalo Springfield with a snarling guitar and stunning harmonies. You get the LP and studio versions. Next up is Sesame Summer - an energetic sing along that has Loggins Messina written all over it. You get both the LP & studio versions. The band explores some different styles - period funk with Work and a dandy Doobie-esque workout, Fish Bite Better In The Summer. Given the quality of their original songs, the three covers are a bit of a let down although they are played well enough - Mr. Soul (Buffalo Springfield), Blues In A Bottle (Lovin Spoonful) and The Last Time (Rolling Stones). What rescues these workmanlike versions is the consistent quality of musicianship - particularly four part harmonies throughout the LP. I had first heard the band from a French Singles compilation and wondered. A worthy addition to my collection and the two singles will stick with you.