Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
m
martin
Speedometer cable for 16H
Hi folks, I am still looking for a speedo cable for my 16H. When searching the net I find cables with a length of 142 cm. But I cannot believe that it has to be that long. Sorry for this somehow stupid question, my bike is not in my office and thus I am not able to i...
Views: 137   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 23, 2024 2:11pm
by martin
16H Big 4 Front axle.
Anyone got details on the front axle assemblies for both the 16H and the 2WD Big 4. Drawings would be nice. Just putting my big 4 front end together and re-doing my 16H. Do the girder fork ends need to be wider to take the big 4 axle??
Views: 25   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 31, 2024 8:05pm
by Rob
m
martin
Knobby tires
After a couple of years my 16H would benefit from new tires. As I enjoy to ride the bike on gravel roads / off road I am wondering which kind of tire would be recommended.
Views: 55   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 17, 2024 11:27am
by Rob
Engine sprocket fixing / rubber or leather washer
Last week I realised that the engine sprocket nut was loose. I tried to fix it but it appeared to be quite difficult as it was not clear to me how to appropriately fix / counterhold the crankshaft. I did not find any description in the manual. I assume Next quest...
Views: 79   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 27, 2023 6:47pm
by Rob
Indian made mudguards
Hi All, Does anyone have experience of whether the Indian fabricated mudguards are any good.. I obviously need a pair for my project and have seen them on E bay etc, so I am just wondering if any of you have purchased a pair and what were they like? Gary
Views: 125   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 19, 2023 2:15pm
by Gary Parkin
r
Rob
Long trips are possible
Just back from another trip to France, 971 miles without mishaps, in the company of 2 other WD16H riders. The bikes might loose bits but they do keep running. Most we lost was oil, mine a bit more than the others. 4 liters is relatively much but the engine is q...
Views: 117   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 23, 2023 8:40am
by Rob
Carb code suffix
The spec for the military WD is 276 AE/1BE. I have a WD16H fitted with a 276 011; which is the code in "The Driver's Handbook" for the same basic model [No dates but it shows grease nipples for the valve guides] My bike was rebuilt at a field station two weeks bef...
Views: 86   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 5, 2023 10:03am
by Rob
Jet size
Hi can any one tell me the main jet size and the cut away size on the slide on a Amal 276. Thanks
Views: 378   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 4, 2023 11:58pm
by jeremy atkinson
r
Rik
Another year older..
The 16H and its owner...Unseasonably warm here. February 2023 is a lot warmer than the same month in 1940. The WD16H though simply starts and runs just as it did eighty-three years ago. Get out and ride them, chaps !
Views: 121   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 4, 2023 11:27pm
by Rik
gearbox oil
Can anyone tell me please is there any other way that is quicker to fill an upright Norton gearbox than doing it through the filler hole and having a cuppa between each miniscule amount or removing the end cover.Thanking you in anticipation. DAVE.
Views: 296   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 11, 2022 11:27am
by Rob
Axle spacer dimensions
Can someone tell me the dimensions of the spacers on the 16h rear axle. Lengths and OD. Also does anyone have the correct distance inside the rear frame where the axle fits. Trying to get the rear wheel assembly ‘right’!! Thanks
Views: 148   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 5, 2022 6:59pm
by Rob
g
Göran
Norton 16H W 86000
My 16H has W86000 engine and frame number Where did it serve
Views: 228   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 15, 2022 8:17pm
by Rob
Rings
Looking for 633cc piston rings +0.20. Any suggestions as to where best to look?
Views: 168   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 13, 2022 3:53pm
by Henri
h
Henri
Gudgeon pin
Quick question. How is the pin removed from the big4 piston? Unlike other pins, this one is thinner. Is there one side that should be used instead of other? I tried a various of washers and spacers before giving it to a shop for dismantling. They successfull...
Views: 145   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 11, 2022 6:10pm
by Henri
Norton 16H
Hi, looking for some 16H steering damper parts. To buy or copy. I can supply part numbers if required. many thanks.
Views: 205   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 23, 2022 1:31pm
by Andy Neal
1950 "Big 4" going for a land speed record ??
Hello from South Texas! This forum has been a great help in gaining knowledge in these old Nortons. Thank you all that contribute. I have already downloaded and printed off the manuals that are linked here. Thanks. Yes, you read that right, I am building a 195...
Views: 188   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 30, 2021 5:39pm
by Motorcycles and ...
r
Rik
Tyre Repair Outfits
Despite not liking the concept and format of Facebook, I post rather too much there..One aspect that works is the ease of posting photos...It's a pain in the **** on Braveheart or whatever it's called...but anyway, I've been tidying and sorting my tins following my l...
Views: 184   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 21, 2021 10:12am
by Rob
m
martin
No charging of the battery
After not having ridden the bike for more than 6 months today I put in a new 6v battery and started the bike. It took 3 kicks and the engine was up and running. Unfortunately there was no charging of the battery indicated. As the magdyno was renewed a couple of year...
Views: 156   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 20, 2021 12:45pm
by Rob
h
Henri
Query
Hi Folks, Crashed and burned here, but using my survival skills to keep going. What helps is work on those sturdy war horses. Am in need of comments if available. Page 14 of parts manual on big4 shows number 3742 , one and five eights inches with 26 TPI Bear...
Views: 155   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 9, 2021 3:04am
by Henri
m
martin
battery?
Which type / kind of battery works well with the original dyno / regulator in the 16H? I had a sealed one installed for a couple of years which died this year. Is it recommendable to run the engine without having a battery installed? Would any of the electric compon...
Views: 170   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 7, 2021 9:46am
by martin
Big4 rear hub
Greetings, While installing the various parts for the driveshaft, I found that installing the cover it was standing proud with a fair amount of space. The cover itself has an internal shield that looks missing on the big4 part description. Most likely the cover...
Views: 177   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 20, 2021 2:26am
by Henri
r
Rik
Magdynos for WD Nortons
Having responded to a thread on Henk Joore's general WD Motorcycle forum regarding the different Magdyno models, it seems useful to add some specific Norton information and post the detail here. It may assist in obtaining the correct item or at least in stamping up a...
Views: 251   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 11, 2021 5:53pm
by Rik
Canadian Bikes
I just added another frame to the collection that’s 36 numbers off my other 44 frame. Going by the number tracker there are 5 bikes/frames (mine included) known in Canada and one in the US within a 185 bike spread between W85505 and W85690. Sweet to have to two...
Views: 302   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 4, 2021 11:39pm
by Rik
r
Rik
Armistice Day
Seventy-five years after the end of the last armed conflict in Western Europe...a peaceful public holiday to ride round some of the local war memorials on a WD16H left behind here by the BEF in 1940. duplicate filter tracemyip duplicate remover
Views: 276   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 16, 2020 5:44pm
by Rob
r
Rob
unwanted advertising
It appears that people try to use this forum to advertise certain websites. As I don't want to be linked to any site I do not know/ have control over or the intention to check out I will remove any forum entry that gives URL's / links to other websites. I will...
Views: 323   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 17, 2020 9:37am
by Rob
WD Chronometric
Hello Rob , I tried to email via the website but I failed! A addition for the Chronometric info. Unopened Smiths WD 80MPH Chronometric with the anti pampering seal still in it's place. I have not yet tested it, but even if it does not work I am going to leave i...
Views: 466   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 18, 2020 11:42am
by martin
r
Rik
96 YB 23 ?
Is this 96 YB 23 ? If so, then W28538 / C4388564 had its moment of fame post-war. Struck off MoS BER (Berlin ?) 13/6/1955 I wonder if it was a BAOR show ?
Views: 384   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 13, 2020 1:09pm
by Horror
r
Rik
RAF Parts Book
Earlier this week, a WD16H Spare Parts Book was sold on eBay (it was a 'Buy it now' option) From the pages copied by the seller it appeared to be a generic post-1937 / Pre-1944 WD parts list but I'm always interested to learn if the books include any other informa...
Views: 681   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 11, 2017 11:25pm
by Rik
Rear Mudguard Bottom Fixing Strap
I am seeking information (or a possible source,) about the "Rear Mudguard Bottom Fixing Strap" later part # 9597. If I can't find any, I will have a go at fabricating a press tool to make some. I would like to know the correct hole centre to centre distance, and whe...
Views: 260   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 8, 2020 10:00am
by Rob
Missing at half throttle
Hi my bike starts well runs fine ticks over runs well at quarter throttle but when opened up to half throttle it misses and will cut bike out if you open it up too fast. I have cleaned carb twice adjusted needle up and down adjusted the screw still it will only run w...
Views: 225   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 3, 2020 11:42am
by Rob
Wanted: type plate on top of Vokes desert filter
Hello all, I am looking for a original brass type plate 'Tubular Air Filter' etc... for my Vokes filter that is missing it. Thanks ! regards, Vincent
Views: 649   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 9, 2020 10:40am
by V. Ginneke
a
Adrian
screw tension chain
Hello. I am looking for chain tensioning screws for Norton 16H. Can somebody give me what screw it should be? What thread and how many turns per inch and what length? After Norton refurbishment I have a few parts that I can sell or replace.
Views: 237   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 31, 2020 6:02pm
by Adrian
m
Marcel
Oil pump
Hello all, Looking for an oil pump for my 1940 big 4. Anybody now where i can buy an new good one. Thanks
Views: 420   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 11, 2019 7:16am
by Marcel
Pe war Norton wheel hub bolt covers
Wanted a pair of pre war mid 30s large hub covers that clip onto the right hand side of the wheel hub and covers the 3 long bolt heads. Old distressed pair would be nice as it's for an oily rag bike.
Views: 391   Replies: 6
Last Post: Sep 6, 2019 12:14am
by Tim Walker
Norton girder fork 16h or Big 4 wanted
Hello, I've decided to buy a complete and running Norton,so if anyone has a 16h or a Big 4 for sale, please let me know.
Views: 352   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 31, 2019 4:38pm
by Nick Poll
m
martin
pic of upper oil tank mount
I try to rebuild the upper oil tank mount. Could anybody here provide a pic of the original part? Thx in advance, martin
Views: 329   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 30, 2019 12:56pm
by martin
m
martin
carburettor adjustment
when using mit 16h in daily urban traffic it seems as if the engine is running too fat. the spark plug is deep black and after a while the engine begins to run quite bad. there are two screws at the carb. the one is responsible for the minimum height of the slide,...
Views: 585   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 19, 2019 11:39pm
by Rik
More parts keep turning up.
Found another frame today in south west France, near the Spanish border. I walked right past it, but my friend Al said " isn't that a rigid 16h frame ? ". It was outside an old car repair garage. The owner had a few more bits in the back shed, a toolbox, rear mudguar...
Views: 793   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 16, 2019 10:26pm
by Rik
New to Norton 16H.
Hello, I've just bought a Norton 16H project. It's mostly there and has eight spare engines and seven spare gearboxes ! I need a few parts eg: All footrest parts and long footrest bolt, bolts for rear stand, rear brake torque stay, speedo bracket.
Views: 491   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 15, 2019 11:55pm
by Rik
m
martin
chain tension adjustment
i simply cant believe that that tremendeously complicated solution for adjusting the secondary chain with those bolts and nuts covered by rear footrests and main stand springs is originally built or constructed by norton. if anybody could provide pics which help m...
Views: 336   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 31, 2019 6:00pm
by martin
m
martin
how to avoid oil leakage of primary chaincase
i had to realise that the primary chaincase is not at all oiltight. is there any reasonable chance to make it oiltight or should i think of alternative approaches to lubricacte / cool the primary chain?
Views: 545   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 10, 2019 12:38pm
by Horror
m
martin
tool for transmission adjustment
in order to adjust primary chain tension the transmission has to be moved in the frame. i am looking for an appropriate tool for the large hex nut of the transmission adjuster on top of the tranny. could you provide any recommendations or advice?
Views: 607   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 22, 2019 1:27pm
by martin
m
martin
thread size inlet camshaft
the thread of the inlet camshaft is slightly damaged. i would like to buy a tool to re-cut the thread. does anybody know the size of the thread?
Views: 334   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 10, 2019 7:57am
by martin
16h forks wanted
Hi all I'm after a set of 16h fork blades, hope somebody can help, if not has anybody ever purchased the ones from India on eBay, are they any good Chris
Views: 476   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 14, 2018 10:57pm
by Chris willis
1953 Norton Manx 350
I know this is not the right forum, but I am looking to sell my well cared for 1953 Norton Manx 350. Frame# 52951 Engine# 82770 Gearbox# PGT MX 1483. This is a 5 speed Coil spring valve conversion 1962 Manx 4LS front brake Works ultra light shocks w/ Ti shafts...
Views: 389   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 17, 2018 12:10pm
by Michael Buck
m
martin
looking for good barrel and piston for my 16h
actually the plan was to replace a camshaft bearing. but now the project is slightly extended. thus, i am looking for a good / nos piston & barrel. are there any chances to find good material at reasonable costs?
Views: 379   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 11, 2018 10:13am
by martin
loose MAGDYNO bracket 1944 norton 16H
Hi guys just got back from a run with a very loose Magdyno bracket, just had a quick glance & it looks a pig of a job to tighten up the underside screws and I can't see a quick way to do the job. What is the best quickest way please.
Views: 838   Replies: 16
Last Post: Aug 31, 2018 1:34am
by charles Taylor
j
Jim
Big 4 Clutch Rubbers
I am replacing the shock absorber rubbers in my clutch but have not been able to put enough force/leverage on the clutch to compress the large rubbers. I was wondering if it is normal to need to put a lot of leverage to compress them or if sometimes the rubbers can b...
Views: 423   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 30, 2018 5:03pm
by charles Taylor
Help with production dates
Hi all my name is mike Edwards from uk, I have just found a great 16h project and would like to find out what I can from the engine and frame numbers which I have attached. Engine number W90676 79X Frame 90123. I would appreciate any information that...
Views: 424   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 22, 2018 1:23pm
by Keith H
16H carb
Hi, Can anyone please help. If I fitted an Amal monobloc 376 onto the 1943 16H what would be the best jetting?
Views: 481   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 18, 2018 9:34am
by David Jones Jone...
1 2 3 4 5
Free Forum powered by Bravenet