Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum

Dutch army, Johan Herman Fuhler, somewhere between 1945 and 1950

Rob's WD16H and Big4 Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Leather WWII Rifle Scabbard

Hello Norton enthusiasts.

I wanted to ask if anyone knows where I can get a leather gun scabbard for the Norton 16H. I've been searching with no luck and we are looking for one for our Museum Norton 16H.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

roger

Re: Leather WWII Rifle Scabbard

Hi Roger, I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a rifle scabbard on a 16H. Can you post a picture if you've got one please?
I've collected militaria and the easiest place is ebay, unless you want to walk around the shows. Or do a search on Google and see if a place selling one comes up. I've done that with a few items I really wanted and found them in 1/2 an hour.

Good luck with your search

Thanks Horror,

The owner wants to find a gun scabbard for display. I found an American made scabbard but he wants a British made scabbard. They're not an easy item to find.

roger

Hello Roger,

I have quite a lot of period Norton pictures, but have never seen a leather gun scabbard on any of them.
I think it is an American thing to do as they are plentyfull on Harleys.
I do also not recollect seeing a BSA, RE, Arial or Matchless or any other British bike having such accessory.
I am also not convinced that the British army ever used leather scabbards. All covers I recollect were webbing or canvas, and even then, not on motorcycles.
I am however not a gun expert at all so I may well be wrong on this latter recollection.

I my opinion, putting a 16H with a scabbard on it on display gives a totally wrong impression of the real history of the type of bike and its use in the British (or allied for that) use.
I strongly believe that any scabbard on a 16H is totally out of context. American influence?

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for your comments on the use of a gun scabbard on the museum 16H. You've convinced us all that it would be inappropriate to use a gun scabbard on the bike.

regards,

roger