Re: did you play any vinyl today.

Climax Blues Band- A Lot of Bottle
The Faces- Ooh La La

Email  

Yes, I did:

LOL COXHILL Diverse

LOL COXHILL The joy of paranoia

...very bold explorations without chains/limitations... definitely not for the faint hearted !

Email   deleted   Website

Jako Pastorius - same

Argent - same

Mighty Baby - Tasting The Life live '71 (better than the more common "Attic" but both are nothing special.)

Tiger B Smith - We're The Tiger Bunch (Janus LP, 1975)

PM

Email  

Love the Argent 1st LP, not so keen about their later stuff though.

Been spinning some 45s
Kim Fowley - Strangers from the sky. Over the top psych trip.
Amazon Trust - Sheila Lee. Hard fuzz rocker.
Glass Family - Teenage Rebellion. Trippy psycho pop
Mojo Men - Me about you. Beatiful baroque pop sike.
Checkmates - Every day is just the same. Really nice '66 art pop with a bit of fuzz.

"Dr. Dunbar's Prescription" by the Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation. I like that album. Sort of standard blues but with enough variety to be interesting. I dont know if i'd rank it up there with "Then Play On" by FM, but it's a good one.

ETHOS (US prog. amazing their two lps have never been reissued)

Wolfgang Reichmann - wunderbar

Stephan Zauner - Dreams & reality (or summat loike that)

Today:
Gorillas - message To The World LP (1978). The great Jesse Hector's only long player. I would love to see the 2006 documentary made about him tagged on youtube, but alas it's not commercially available as far as I know.

Eli Culbertson - Need Your Love Tonight / Boogie Queen (EMI 45 1974). US Elvis impersonator in a glam rock context - his only UK single. Think Alvin Stardust!

Jeff Britton & The Spitfires - Rub Out / Breakwood (Decca 45 instros 1976) Tiop side is a big flanged drum instro based on the theme to John Carpenter's Assault On Precinct 13 film from the same year. The B side is a groovy hammond led instro hipster sounding five years earlier than its release date.

Dancer - Hate Generator (Dawn, 1974 45 - ersatz Bowie)

Ray Singer - What's Done Has Been Done (Ember 1966 45)
freakbeat supreme not unlike Joe Meek / The Buzz 'You're Holding me Down'.

PM

Email  

No

Email  

Love that Ray Singer - very underrated I think.

Jimmy McGriff--Blues for Mr. Jimmy. Yeah, I know, not a psych album. Oh well...

Email  

NEKTAR - SUNDAY NIGHT AT LONDON ROUNDHOUSE

TONY WILLIAMS LIFETIME - EGO

Saturday morning:

CHRIS McGREGOR Live at Willisau (OGUN)

On Saturday afternoon I'm having a blowout of Italian prog beasts...

SAINT JUST same (Harvest) Jane's voice is beautiful, reminds me of Trees somewhere

OPUS AVANTRA same (Trident) Donella's singing is beautiful too, but different, and most of the album tracks are haunting

CHERRY FIVE same (CineVox) a great and inventive album, justly top rated by proggers and collectors - some great keyboards, lots of fantasy and (for once) the English is not pathetic..

PERIGEO Genealogia (RCA)
PERIGEO Non è poi così lontano (RCA)
PERIGEO La valle dei templi (RCA)
PERIGEO Azimut (RCA)
PERIGEO Abbiamo tutti un blues da piangere
a full bunch of LPs by another full-blood band, we're in jazz-rock-prog territories of high quality here..

Blackfoot Sue - Glittery Obituary 45 (german only I think, 1973)

Sloopers - Sloop (analogue moog / glam 45 1974

Neil Norman - Wild Boys (GNP Crescendo 1974 45). Kim Fowley co-write, sounds like Mick Farren!

Email  

Ha! Ha! Bernardo.

Peregio sucks.

What next? Weather Report?

WR sucks

TOMITA - LIVE NY
KITARO - LIVE IN ASIA

No vinyl, all I have is framed and hanging on the walls. But I'm currently listening to the two Plastic Penny albums on Repertoire - 'Two Sides Of' and 'Currency'.

Email  

Quote: Wallace
Ha! Ha! Bernardo.

Peregio sucks.

What next? Weather Report?

Wallace, why this despise for Perigeo?
Too jazzy or what? Or somehow too 'commercial'?
Or is it 'cause this Italian kind of music is not for your ears?
Admittedly, I am NOT a fan either of Italian prog or jazz-prog/fusion, but Perigeo are much better than many many others from here (who, let's admit it, were too often imitators of UK/US bands without all the makings..), but there are exceptions.
Who else would you rescue?

P J HARVEY-LET ENGLAND SHAKE i cannot stop listening to this very quirky superb album..sublime!

Email  

Quote: bernardo
Who else would you rescue? [/quot

Contrary to common belief there ARE good Italian 70s fusion bands.
I love the two Agora lps. Most of the Arti & Mestieri lps.

Go Twosheds, go!

Photobucket

Photobucket

P J HARVEY-LET ENGLAND SHAKE
Please describe. (Wallace never heard of this.)

Winkies-s/t

Kevin Coyne-Marjory Razorblade

Hawkwind-In Search Of Space

Email  

Played and loved 2oz of Palstic (with a hole in the middle) - Man and Mercator Projected - East of Eden. EofE a new find and what a delight. Man been in the pile for a couple of years and a rekindled delight!

Email  

Mercator Projected is EXCELLENT!

Email  

pj harvey

Review
The title of Polly Harvey’s seventh album, 2007’s White Chalk, seemed to address England’s psycho-geography by way of Dover’s iconic coastline. Perhaps that’s projection. But her eighth most definitely does. It’s a concept album, folks. Songtitles include The Last Living Rose, England and The Glorious Land, with a distinct whiff of landscape and legend. A fragile Hanging in the Wire even namechecks "the white hills of Dover". Pete Doherty doesn’t have a copyright on singing about Albion, you know.
Going by her latest photos, Harvey’s position as the alternative Lady Gaga, confounding expectations and changing hair styles at each turn, remains undiminished. This time, the black gown and headpiece screams Hel, the Norse God of the dead. And when you read the lyric sheet, death fair stares you in the face. Its first words are "Let England shake / Weighed down with silent dead"; The Last Living Rose sings of "the grey damp filthiness of ages," and it turns out "the glorious fruit of our land" is "orphaned children". Add various references – Battleship Hill, Bolton Ridge, the Anzac trench – to the disastrous Allied invasion of Galipoli, Turkey in World War One and we appear to have a psycho-geographic lament around the perils of colonialism and the ravages of war that resonate right up to the present.

As a backdrop to this brutal battlefield, Harvey has shifted from White Chalk’s gaunt piano ballads to a broader sound that is no less feverish and close to the bone. Imagine a minimalist take on her debut album Dry’s folk-blues tilt, all urgent and wiry rhythm. It’s recorded mostly live with multi-instrumental support from the long-serving John Parrish and (former Bad Seed) Mick Harvey. But there are subtle additions; the signature horse’n’ hounds bugle leading the hunt is woven into a shifty The Glorious Land, the Bulgarian women’s choral wail (shouldn’t that be Turkish?) on the otherwise skeletal England. There is a playful reference to Eddie Cochran’s Summertime Blues via "what if I take my troubles to the United Nations?" into a skiffle-shaped The Words That Maketh Murder; but this is categorically a sad, despairing album. It ends with The Colour of the Earth, where a host of male voices (including the band) and Polly recall a soldier cut down in action and now "nothing but a pile of bones".

Ah, Earth, so much to answer for. But thankfully we have PJ with another fearsomely creative, emotional record to lead the resistance. God bless unique, unfathomable, great Queen Polly.

Email  

I don't have any Agora LP (have they been repressed on vinyl by someone?), but have 3 x Arti&Mestieri (Tilt, Giro di valzer..., and Children's Blues). They have gathered dust in the highest of my shelves for decades, but I'll give them another spin soon! And come back with my impressions!

B

Etna
Duello Madre
Dedalus
Cincinatto
Napoli Centrale (first lp)
Bella Band (as I seem to recall)

All excellent fusions.

Yes, trouble with the "Peerogi" band for me is too jazziness. As the case with Weather Report - excellent musicians for sure, only that I just dont like that lesser-rock composition.

How's the cold treating you there?
I suggest you play Donovan's "Joe Bean's Theme" to warm up.

I don't have any Agora LP (have they been repressed on vinyl by someone?), but have 3 x Arti&Mestieri (Tilt, Giro di valzer..., and Children's Blues). They have gathered dust in the highest of my shelves for decades, but I'll give them another spin soon! And come back with my impressions!

B

While taking the Arti&Mestieri LPs, I have come across the Duello Madre album and I have listened to it first.
Well, to be honest, I had completely forgotten it and it is a pleasant surprise: even if slightly unoriginal (remembers me of some UK jazz) and less genuine than Osage Tribe, it is nonetheless well played and catching.
And, thank goodness, mostly instrumental....

Bernardo:
Wallace is at the very least comforted by the thought that, were it not for the cold fact that sending lps surface from Italy to Leutonia costs a small fortune, you would most certainly have magnanimously befriended Wallace all those Ital prog & fusion 70s lps you dont really care for that muchly.

Quote: Mr Wisdom's Whopper
Mercator Projected is EXCELLENT!

+1

Over Weekend in no particular order:
The Gods 'Genesis'
The Gods 'To Samuel A Son'
Samson 'Are You Samson?'
Czar 's/t'
Barclay James Harvest 's/t'
Web 'I Spider'
McDonald & Giles 's/t'
Mainhorse 's/t'
The Seven Ages Of Man (Wallace Fav fuzzy)
New Trolls 'Searching For Land' (One of Karney fav Italian prog fuzzies)
Eulenspygel 'Ausschuss'
Junior's Eyes 'Battersea Power Station'

n/p: Brian Auger, Julie Driscol & The Trinity 'Streetnoise'

Wallace:

if there's something Italo Prog you NEED on vinyl and provided you don't care if it is a reissue, let me know (say, 2 or 3 titles) and I will see what I can do.
I mean, rather than sending one from my collection, I would have a look around in the shops and record fairs here.
Chances are not low to find some at affordable price, but I need first to know precise wishings from you.

Deputy Masterman Bernardo may be really very generous and direct one nice chunk of domestic prog from Milano to Canada (isn't it?) just at no cost for you...!

Do you have 'Le Stelle di Mario Schifano' by the way?

Ciao, B

Ive been looking for that on CD

Bernardo:

Just for curiosities sake, I can send you my moderately large lp trade list.
Probably not much there for a collector of your acumen, still maybe some of the Quebec 70s stuff would interest you.

But, to tell truth, Im very leery of trading with Italy. From what Ive read Italy is THE worst place to trade lps with due to Italian Post corruption.

(Ever seen that Speedball library disc?)

Bernardo:

Just for curiosities sake, I can send you my moderately large lp trade list.
Probably not much there for a collector of your acumen, still maybe some of the Quebec 70s stuff would interest you.

But, to tell truth, Im very leery of trading with Italy. From what Ive read Italy is THE worst place to trade lps with due to Italian Post corruption.

(Ever seen that Speedball library disc?)

Fine, Wallace, send me your list if you wish. it may be interesting.
My email address is: berna10@fastwebnet.it

I have not an enormous "trading" experience, but I have been buying 100's of records from abroad for decades (from New Zealand to Norway and from Japan to the USA).
Our Postal Service is admittedly among the worst, unfortunately, and that's why I use registered mail most of the times.
Honestly, along 35 years of collecting, I have not lost many records, except three times. And all from the USA. The three records sadly disappeared and nobody was able to find them anywhere....
From then on I have stopped buying from US dealers at all! Lately I am buying regularly from UK/European dealers with no problem.

But what I was offering, Wallace, was to try and find one LP for you and send it for free.... So, you'd have nothing to loose and no reason to be leery this time....!!

Enjoy your Sunday

B

PS: It's unusually cold at the moment all around Italy. Those poor chaps down there in Rome are in trouble. Up here in Northern Italy (I live in Milano) we're much more used to snow and deal with it easily. I personally love Winter&snow&cold (much more than melting Summer hot), but not all are pleased here at -2 to -10 °C !!

Quote: Karney

Ive been looking for that on CD

Hi Karney,
I am notoriously no expert at CDs and (almost) never look for them, but I suppose it is not very difficult to find a CD copy of Le Stelle. I know that at least Akarma reissued it some time ago.
I have just looked at Ebay for example and there are currently 6 copies on sale, with one at only 9.99 Euros (a bargain).
Of course it depends also on which country you live in and how much you'd like to spend.
If you have particular difficulties in finding one, let me know.

B

PS: here's the link to the Ebay search for you: http://www.ebay.it/sch/CD-/304/i.htmlLH_PrefLoc=2&_nkw=le+stelle+mario+schifano&_adv=1&_catref=1&_dmd=1&_fln=1&_in_kw=1&_ipg=50&_oexkw=&_okw=le+stelle+mario+schifano&_sop=12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282&_udhi=&_udlo=

Quote: Ian
Played and loved 2oz of Palstic (with a hole in the middle) - Man and Mercator Projected - East of Eden. EofE a new find and what a delight. Man been in the pile for a couple of years and a rekindled delight!

Hi Ian
I love many Man albums including 2 ozs: it would deserve a full new thread!
I love the early East of Eden albums too: don't miss 'Snafu', it's superb!

Go Twosheds, go!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Before dinner I enjoyed...

DALTON
ALUSA FALLAX
L'UOVO DI COLOMBO

Before dinner I enjoyed...

ALUSA FALLAX
L'UOVO DI COLOMBO

Nice Bernardo

Later in the night....

I TEOREMI

Yes Bernado, I like East Of Eden-Snafu also, although it's more jazzy than Mercator Projected. The bonus track Petite Fille on the cd is one of their best.

Email  

THE ENID-AERIE FAERI NONSENSE nice back ground music sorta folky orchestral stuff actually could imagine wally dancing round his shed to this

Email  

ELO-FLASHBACK 3 cd boxset superb stuff...if you like ELO
only £8 from HMV

Email  

Jan Hammer Group "Oh Yeah!"

Look what you´ve done to Mr Brown after he listened to that Jan Hammer Group LP. It´s called "Oh, Yeah?" by the way.
Photobucket

Tomorrows Gift - s/t
Joy Unlimited - Schmetterlinge
The Royal Servants - We

The Stooges Fun House
Dragonfly ST
Lialeh Original Movie Soundtrack

LEONARD COHEN. Songs from the Road. double LP

Cohen???

Jesus!

I'd much rather dive into a vat of otter spraint.

you have a acid tongue wally olde chum

Email  
« | | 1 | 2 | | »